𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗.

Rhegan

Rhegan

My alarm blared, I jolted awake, my heart beat racing a thousand miles per hour. Reaching for my nightstand, I snatched my phone off the charger and turned the alarm off.

After the effects of my alarm nearly giving me a heart attack wore off, excitement immediately took its place.  My girls were coming today.  I would see my friends for the first time in what felt like forever.

Pulling back my duvet, I slid out of bed and hurriedly put on my slippers before rushing into my bathroom. It was only ten o'clock, I had so much to do before they arrived. I had a Pilates class to attend in an hour. I needed to make sure that the guest rooms were prepared and that the gift baskets I'd spent making with Vivian making sure that they were perfect. Lately, I'd been spending time with Vivian without my father.

Vivian was sweet and funny. She was a free-spirited kind of woman. Spontaneous. Something that my father had been lacking in his life for as long as I could remember. Watching them interact, I knew that she was good for him. I'd seen a different side to my father that I never knew could be found again.

He was in love and happy.

And I was happy for him.

While getting ready for Pilates class, I kept a close eye on the time so that I was running on schedule. I threw on a matching workout set and a hoodie on top. Grabbing a baseball cap, I threw it over my hair, hurried out of my bathroom, grabbed my tote bag off my doorknob, and ran out of my bedroom.

Entering the kitchen, I greeted my father and Vivain. I grabbed a banana, bread, and other toppings. I made a quick breakfast before rushing out the front door. " Bye, Dad! Bye, Vivian!" I yelled over my shoulder, closing the door behind me, and hurried down the steps.

My driver opened the door, and I quickly slid into the SUV. Once I settled into the back seat, I bit into my toast and checked my messages and emails. I checked the messages from the girls first. They all individually texted me regarding plans for Ayanna's birthday.

When Ayanna first called and told me that she wanted to come out here for her birthday, I was both happy and guilty at the same time. Of course, I was ecstatic that I would get to spend her birthday with her. But I felt guilty that she even needed to spend her birthday in New York in the first place.

Knowing Ayanna, she probably didn't mind it because, lately, she preferred small and intimate events now that her life was broadcast on every gossip blog and news outlet due to the ongoing trial. Still, I managed to put together an itinerary for a whole week.

I spent the entire car ride staring at the clock wishing that the time would go by faster. Time was a bitch that way. It went by utterly slowly when you were in anticipation of something. And utterly fast when you want to cherish those precious moments in life.

Time was twisted that way.

After what had felt like forever,  the driver came to a slow stop in front of the pilates studio. I thanked him, grabbed my bags and quickly excited the car. Nabina greeted me with a beaming smile from behind the counter, " Good morning, Rhegan!"