𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟕.

Rhegan

Rhegan

Therapy was good for me.

Who would've thought?

Everyone but me apparently.

I guess talking to a complete stranger wasn't all that bad. I mean, the stranger was about five years older than me and I was completely sure that she had a secret shrine of Harry Potter collectibles— she seemed like the type. It was easy to talk to her.

I was chalking up the easiness that I felt with her to her cool demeanor. She had this reverse psychology thing going on. She acted like her job wasn't giving a fuck about her clients lives when she sat in that chair with her notebook, but it literally was her job to give a fuck.

Either way, whatever tactic that she developed had me singing like a canary. And apparently it had me agreeing to a sit down with my mother that surprisingly didn't end with me scratching her eye balls out.

It had been a few days since I sat down with my mother, and although I despise her and her idiotic life's choices, I found a small bit of closure from our conversation. Now I wasn't going to completely forgive her despite allowing her to see me vulnerable and craving her affection— no, the bitch could drop dead at any moment and I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Maybe I would care a little bit...

Just a little.

Just a pinch.

Since then, I have been going out more often. Pilates classes were quickly filling up my mornings and I had never felt better. At night, I found myself at the gym a few blocks down getting my nightly jog in. I had allowed myself time to lounge around and mourn my breakup in a non-healthy way for almost a few weeks now— it was time to change that.

I had been taking my meds everyday, I had been keeping up with my studies and mostly because after a few days, Haze had insisted on calling me after his practices via facetime to make sure that I was doing the class work. And of course it wouldn't be a conversation with Haze if he wasn't trying to guilt trip me into coming back home early.

This break away was a strain on my heart but it was a healthy choice.

It was the right choice.

As I jogged up the steps of my childhood home, I watched the puff of my breath fog up in the evening autumn air. Walking through the front door, I felt the heat kiss my face as I shrugged out of my coat. My plans to go to the gym later tonight had been pushed forward due to my dinner plans.

I was meeting the girls for dinner at their new establishment in the warehouse district.

" Hey!" My father entered the foyer just as I started making my way up the stairs to get ready.

I paused. I had been avoiding my father since my throat session with Leila. My father had a good heart and I understood where he was coming from sending her pictures of me growing up and inviting her to graduations and big milestones of mine. He just wanted her to watch me grow up and unlike me, he wanted to extend that olive branch and be the bigger person.