(8.2)Thoughts as Deep as the Aegean

Song: Not in Love, by Franky Wah, LOWES

Thoughts as Deep as the Aegean (Part 2)

It was only the third day of him being absent from my life and already I was annoyingly frustrated by the forced distance

I knew I was mostly to blame for my own disappointments, seeing as I was the one enforcing this remoteness between us. To be fair, for his plan to truly hold weight and to work, we did have to appear to be cold towards one another.

However, I could also assume that anyone with eyes would be able to tell the not-so-discreet glances we shared whenever we parted ways in the halls or courtyards.

Earlier this morning, I'd joined Alexus in the inner quad for a quick bite to eat before my afternoon classes began. The patio was drapped with sheer, beige linen and the palm trees threw cool shade over our table. Alexus swallowed the last bit of her meal as I leaned back and glanced up at the lazy afternoon sun. It was mostly blocked by the tall palm tree, but the rays were still so bright and hot. I shaded my eyes from the glare and smiled softly; "Do you think Conrad would let me take the afternoon off?"

"Feeling ill?" Alexus asked with a hint of concern.

I smiled sheepishly and leaned back, stretching like a big cat in the chair. "No... Just suddenly so lazy."

The mages eyed me with a pointed look, but a small smile ran up the corners of her mouth; "How unlike you."

"Hmm... It's one of those days." I sighed and closed my eyes as the sun heated my face. The rays felt good against my skin. To be honest, my nerves were shot. Tomorrow evening the banquet would be held in my honour- to welcome me to the fold. I wanted to escape to my room and mentally prepare, but Alex wouldn't understand that. Especially not after yesterday's confessions.

After she'd shared her life story with me and how she came to be Hades' head mage, I could sense a coldness from her demeanour this morning in class. She was using it as a shield, to keep me away again. She hated herself that she'd broken in front of me- that she's cried.

I didn't blame her. In fact, it was good for her to let go once in a while, but Alexus did not see it that way. Shame was her emotion of choice today.

"I suggest we re-examine the western front as well as the eastern side of the border." A new voice crawled into the courtyard and Alexus and I glanced towards the other opening opposite from where we'd entered. Strolling in came the object of my annoyance himself, along with two unfamiliar faces. The one was a shorter man with dark hair and eyes. He spoke in a low voice; very hushed and secretively. He glanced at us across the large quad, but his words only halted for a split second, before he continued, but this time, softer. I could barely make out the conversation.

The second man, was tall, but young. He seemed to be following, just listening in on the conversation. My eyes barely examined him until they lifted back to the handsome face I'd tried to freeze out of my mind.