(28)Opal Pardon

Picture- edit by me

'We tend to forget humans are, after all, just decorated animals

'We tend to forget humans are, after all, just decorated animals...'

Opal Pardon

"I can see why Thanatos likes you

"I can see why Thanatos likes you..." Hypnos shimmering eyes matched the orange flames.

I took a sip from the tumbler and waited eagerly for the numbing fire to quell my raging head. The whiskey tasted old and like quality; Thanatos clearly didn't have a taste for poor liquor. Everything he collected, so to speak, held it's own beauty. I wondered selfishly then, if he saw me in the same light.

Reeling my mind back, I shot Hypnos a look to get him to stop stalling. The quiet brother sighed and clasped his hands in front of him above his lap and tucked in his feet. The room was darkening and the fire next to me crackled with warmth.

"It happened about twenty years ago- as you know, Thanatos and I have been at odds since then..."

"And the reason for this is...?"

Hypnos pursed his lips instinctively; "Let's start at the beginning, shall we?" He cleared his throat and stood up from the chair to pour himself a drink. I watched as he picked up the Bourbon, glass decanter and a tumbler; "When Alexus first came to live with Thanatos, a very long time ago, she was attracted to him- as most women are- but she had no desire to be one of his conquests."

I glanced at my glass in thought. That clearly changed at some point...

"One of the many reasons I liked her..." Hypnos mumbled. I lifted my eyes to his with surprise; "You... love her?"

He smiled sadly; "I... did, yes."

"This is all making a lot more sense now."

Hypnos continued as he sat down opposite me again, a fresh drink in his hand; "At first, Thanatos had tried to seduce her, but when he realised she wasn't all that interested, he lost curiosity very quickly. Alexus was never his type in any case. Besides, Thanatos wasn't used to work when it came to women."

I nodded with a faint flush. I must've been really important to him, because damn... He worked hard for me. I felt a sense of pride slither up my spine.