(27)My Tavernier Diamond

'I waited patiently for the hurricane...'

My Tavernier Diamond

I scanned the aisles of freshly made food; my eyes landing on a packed chicken sub

I scanned the aisles of freshly made food; my eyes landing on a packed chicken sub. I picked it up and tried to ignore all the weird looks I was getting from the other shoppers.

My turquoise dress was still stained with black blood, mud and grass stains. My hair was a wild mess and I'm pretty sure I smelt of barbeque.

Suddenly, a puff of black smoke appeared next to me. Instantly I tensed up, but tried to keep my expressionless mask on. There was only one being who could cause such a stir. This was not going to end well...

No one in the large supermarket noticed as the god of Death emerged from the smoke and glared down at me with more wrath than ever before.

Shit... I am in so much trouble right now.

I kept my eyes on the sub in my hands as I tried to read the ingredients- as if anyone ever does that. Some silence passed; his angry breathing the only thing keeping me from screaming at him.

"What the hell are you doing?" His voice was like a strong shot of whiskey and it burned just as much.

"Trying to decide between chicken or beef? Which one do you think?" I held up the two subs and watched as his eye twitched with rage.

Thanatos exhaled a shaky breath; his fists were clenched and rigid against his sides. He was on the verge of a major tantrum; one wrong move and some unlucky shopper might not make it to the cheese section.

It was somewhat amusing though- watching everyday people walk past Thanatos like he was just some guy on his way to a fantasy costume party and not the Greek god of Death. Some woman even nearly ran her shopping cart over his black cape. They were clearly hypnotized in order not to make a scene; completely oblivious to the presence of Death.

"You are stimulating my homicidal side, Aurora. Answer the fucking question."

"So beef?" I put the chicken sub back and opened the wrapped beef sub and took a bite. I'm pretty sure no one was going to care that I was eating off the shelf with the grim reaper standing next to me looking like he was about to rip my fingers off with his teeth.

"Be very grateful that I actually care about you or I'd be stuffing you into the meat cooler by now."

"Care... Such a simple term. Tell me; do you care about Delilah?" I turned my cold eyes to his raging red ones. They flickered.

"I promise on my entire existence that I did not touch Delilah." Thanatos anger was replaced with desperation- equally as striking. He pleaded with me; his hand found my arm, but I shook it off; "Aurora, please, listen. I would never hurt you like that! How many times must I tell you that you're the only one that I want?"