(4)Trickery in Teal

'I was falling for Death...'

Trickery in Teal

Our plan was already in motion

Thanatos had informed Conrad about our devious ruse and now a verified claim, by the Arch-mage of Hecate himself was running rampant among the gods.

Needless to say, Thanatos had been smiling like a loon the whole day.

Now for part two.

I was sitting next to the fountain; the cool water running through my fingers. The sun was hot, but there was a cool breeze in the air- it carried the scent of the fresh lake that surrounded the palace.

I adjusted the folds of my thin, mint-coloured dress and tapped a damp finger against my lips.

Where is he?

The courtyard was filled with young, beautiful women. Some sat under the shade of the tall cherry blossom tree, sipping tea and chatting. Others sat under the ivy-covered terraces playing games and gossiping. A few girls to my right were standing close enough for me to hear their conversation;

"I know! Why is he being so distant? It's driving me insane..." A petite brunette said as she covered her cheek with her palms in exasperation. I had a feeling I knew exactly who they were talking about.

"You know how he is. He's just going through a phase."

The girl next to her gently stroked the brunette's back with her palm and sighed loudly. The brunette nodded and shook her head at her dark skinned friend; "This is different."

The girl lowered her voice, but I could still make out her soft words; "I went to his chamber last night."

The dark blonde next to her gasped softly and tapped her friend on the shoulder; "You know you're not allowed to do that!"

"But I wanted to see him." She countered and waved away the concern with a dismissive tone. 

"What happened?" The other dark-skinned friend asked; her beautiful brown eyes wide and curious.

"I never even made it to his room. He was busy in the foyer, sorting through books. When he saw me, he just growled at me to get out."

Her friends merely shook their heads with depressing expressions on their faces.

"It's all her fault."

My ears perked up.

"That Aurora girl. She's somehow hypnotised him or something. He's not the same anymore..."

I pursed my lips.

This plan had better work, or else I'm done for when these girls find out my real name.

"That whore."

Interesting choice of words...

"She had better stay far away from him or else I'll-"