(31)Path of Midnight-Blue

'He moved like a jaguar- precise, poised and predatory- even when he wasn't trying to...'

Path of Midnight-blue

The sky was different

Instead of a soft hue of pale blue and lilac, the sky was dark and foreboding.

The silver stars shone bright and contrasted beautifully against the deep midnight blue. Even the magical tree at the centre of the lavender field had changed. Instead of a beautiful and lush green, it was now faded and had turned to a dirty, blushy pink.

It felt slightly strange being here now, knowing this dream-like place Hecate had designed was based off of a real oracle in Greece. I could see the similarities fade in, like I was seeing everything for the first time with my eyes wide open.

The lavender was still there; bright and heavily scented. The cool breeze felt sticky against my skin as I walked towards the tree. My mind was racing with thoughts and ideas, but nothing would be certain unless I knew how to find her again. Why had she abandoned me?

For long I wanted her to leave me alone, but now- with all that's happened and with everything I'd learned- I needed her guidance.

No matter how twisted or confusing it was.

"Hecate?" I shouted into the darkest and I heard the wind rustle through the leaves.

This time I would find what I came for.

"Hecate?"

No reply; no movement.

I turned around and watched the horizon with interest. The lavender fields just stretched on forever- endlessly filling the void with a luscious scent and a bright, illuminating colour.

My mind drifted back to where my body sat on the floor, with Hypnos and Thanatos watching over me with keen eyes. Thanatos was more than grateful when Hypnos had asked him to join us, his guilt and remorse eating at him after my icy words had cut into him. I wanted to apologise, but I was already under a trance as he stepped into the room, but I could feel his hands on my back, soothingly caressing me.

It helped a great deal knowing that he was there right beside me.

Hypnos voice was loud in my head suddenly; "Try something else."

I could feel he was watching; his spirit hanging over the night sky like a phantom. It was an odd feeling, having him in my head. It was unlike when Thanatos was inside my head. With him I couldn't tell; he was aloof and hid in the shadows of your consciousness, but Hypnos' mind felt like it was trying to touch yours with open palms.

It left me queasy at first, but as the minutes passed, my mind grew used to the extra set of eyes.

I sighed and bit my inner cheek; "Hecate, I need your help!" The wind howled, "The gods are in danger!"