(8)Thoughts as Deep as the Aegean

'At this point, all I knew was that when he looked at me I feel alive, and when he's away, I can feel my soul ache...'

Thoughts as deep as the Aegean

In only two days, my life was going to spiral further down into this rabbit-hole

The banquet.

My mind was racing with possibilities and problems that would probably never even actualise, but knowing me, and being the over-thinker that I was, I'd prepare for every eventuality. Twice.

A few days went by- I studied my notes, pestered Alexus on more dinner and social etiquette and tried on about fifteen different types of dresses; none of which made me feel like a goddess-to-be.

Alexus was being very supportive in her own way; keeping me focus on my astronomical magic and being more gentle with me during class, as my mind had the tendency to wander to which god drank what and disliked who.

Conrad kept me doubly busy with Earth magic and his reassurance that the plan, concerning my virginity, was still well underway and sure to work carried me through the long nights of insomnia. I could only smile and hope for the best...

Thanatos kept his distance like we'd agreed.

I hated it.

It was... painful. Much to my surprise.

It was awful; seeing him walk past me and only smirk and wink- like I was one of his girls. Of course, I knew it was only part of the act, but still...

I wanted more.

Some nights, as I lay in the cold, large bed, I hoped he'd sneak in and climb under the sheets with me, but for once he kept his promise. He didn't attempt anything that might raise suspicion. Why did he have to start listening to me now?

I hope he was suffering as much I was- I hope more...

I spoke to my parents more often now, whether due to a jolt of fear at the prospect of something horrible happening at the feast, or because all of this made me miss the comfort of home, I'm not entirely sure. But it was good to speak to them and to hear normality again.

Trita and Sonya had some time off from class and had decided to phone me during mine. Alexus could tell I was nervous about tomorrow, so she let me take the call to calm my nerves and to distract me from the vicious cycle of dread breeding inside my head.

We'd been talking for almost an hour now as Alexus continued her research for Hades by the big desk in the corner. Samaria was at the hospital today for a check-up so Alexus had agreed to help her out with some administrative things until she returned.

"No! But I'm serious! There are definitely more guys here than girls!" Trita's excited voice rang through the phone. I laughed at her giddiness with Sonya's giggling clear in the background.