(19)Deep Sea Dreaming

'Thanatos bloody eyes were trained on mine- like a hunter's...'

Deep Sea Dreaming

I walked into Thanatos' chamber with a sombre expression

Class with Conrad and Alexus was fine- productive enough and I managed to complete everything I had to do for today. My conversation with Persephone was still fresh in my mind. I wanted so badly to see him afterwards, but Opis had informed me that Thanatos and Hypnos were in his chamber, having a private discussion. I didn't want to intrude, so I stayed put in my room.

I'd spent the night trying to forget about Delilah's cruel words and focusing my thoughts on the page in front of me as I studied until my eyes were exhausted and dry.

This morning as I woke, I felt even worse.

My head was still filled with her nasty words and I felt them press me down, filling me with disquiet. I tried to push them away as I put a small smile on my face. No need for Thanatos to hear about our argument- Delilah had it bad enough and I was no tattle-tail.

Silas, Thanatos personal servant, smiled, but glanced at the floor as I entered. "Good afternoon, my lady. Can I help you?"

"No, I just came to see if my lord could help me with a spell. Is he in?"

Since Thanatos and I needed to keep our distance and make sure no one could suspect anything between us, I'd lied to Silas a few times before telling him Thanatos had to help me with difficult incantations and spells. His servant seemed daft enough to believe me. No offence to Silas.

He was sweet, even if he sometimes got confused by big words.

"He is, but I'm afraid he's still asleep."

I paused.

Asleep?

"I'm sorry, asleep?"

"Yes, Lord Hypnos instructed me to leave my lord until he wakes up on his own accord. I walked in this morning to check on him, but he was snoring so loudly the windows were vibrating."

I laughed loudly and Silas quickly shushed me with a finger over his hand; "My lady, I know it is very strange- for me as well, to see him asleep, but I must ask that you come back later."

"And miss the moment when he wakes up for the first time in twenty years? Never!"

"My lady?" Silas asked with a surprised and confused expression.

I chuckled and waved my hand in a non-worrying fashion; "It's alright, Silas, I won't wake him- I'll just go through some of his books and wait for him to wake up. I'll call for you if I need anything."

Silas bowed reluctantly, but he was in no position to deny my actions.

Silas left to continue cleaning the study as I gently opened the door to Thanatos' room. It made no sound as I opened it slightly and crept in. I closed it with just as much concentration.