(17)Breaking the Ice

'Soul mates aren't just lovers- they're best friends first of all...'

Breaking the Ice

"Well done, child!" Conrad's excited encouragement echoed through the small dome

"Well done, child!" Conrad's excited encouragement echoed through the small dome. We watched as the hot ball of fire I'd formed flew up to the centre of the glass dome and with a twirl of my fingers it exploded into millions of speckled stars that rained down onto our heads and faded into dust.

Persephone squealed and clapped her hands.

I turned my head around to grin at her with a proud glimmer in my eyes.

If Thanatos knew I'd sneaked out of my room to come practise he would forcefully drag me back by my hair. Now I wasn't going to pretend that I didn't find that slightly arousing...

"Oh, Rora! Try that water trick again! I simply love it!" Persephone said as she picked up her porcelain tea-cup and took a sip of the steaming Earl Grey. Her dark hair was pinned up with a pearly clasp and stray curls framed her delicate face as she smiled up at me with child-like glee.

"Of course!" I extended my hands and breathed out steadily. With my one hand I shaped a thick rod and with the other I gathered water molecules hanging in the air- they collected easily into a long strip. I gracefully dropped my one hand and flicked my wrist like I was handling a whip- the water strip cracked against the titled floor and shot some droplets onto Persephone's face.

She giggled and stood up to come stand near me. "Amazing! I wish I could do this... Imagine how much fun it would be to hit someone with this!"

One thing I'd learn very quickly from my time here in Florence and in the Underworld was to never judge a book by its cover.

Persephone may be child-like in her excitement and character, but she was far from innocent. It was refreshing- I didn't have to bite my tongue around her.

"I know! Watch this... Stand back a bit."

Persephone took a few steps back and with the flick of my wrist I cut the thin whip of water forward. It quickly curled its tip around Conrad's coat hanger and I ripped the whip back. With a loud crack the coat hanger broke in half and shot small wooden splinters in every direction.

Persephone clapped with amazement.

Conrad shook his head as he lifted his eyes up from his papers; "Aurora..."

"Sorry!" I giggled innocently and quickly lifted my hand up to reshape the coat hanger back to its original condition. The pieces of wood on the floor flew up and reattached itself to the broken and cracked base- gluing itself together again. We watched as the wood quickly reintegrated into the base and the cracks faded as my magic repaired it with simple ease.

"All fixed." I said sheepishly as the coat hanger appeared brand new.

Conrad tried to hide his small smile as he lowered his eyes. "You know, dear, if you want to practice fighting, perhaps you should go to the barracks. All the other students are in class; it would be the perfect time to go now, if you'd like?" Conrad removed his glasses from the bridge of his nose and fixed his dark grey eyes on mine.