Getting To Know Each Other

I still felt bad about turning Shu's invitation down. The fact that I had to write an essay about a book I disliked didn't help matters. I just stared at the blank piece of paper on my desk for two hours before slamming the book shut with frustration.

I also met my new father for the first time since I woke up in this world. He was busy working a lot as a university lecturer. He also noticed my apparent change of behaviour.

'Rose, you're acting odd. I don't remember you ever taking a liking to cheesecake.'

My new father had red hair and chocolate brown eyes. He also was really tall.

The next day, I went to school feeling nervous. I couldn't erase the image of  Shu's blank and sort of sad expression from my head. I knew that Shu rarely showed emotion in public. Maybe I should apologize for him for standing him up. After all, I owe him one for defending me against Tamiko.

Valt saw me and spoke to me cheerfully. 'Hey, Rose! Guess who challenged me to a battle?'

I shrugged. 'Who?' I asked.

Valt grinned. 'Daigo Kurogami,' he said happily. 'We're going to battle after school. Want to watch?'

I shook my head. I already knew how the battle was going to end. Right now I just needed to find Shu.

For some reason, I found it nearly impossible to find Shu. I didn't share the first three classes together, so I had to wait until lunch to find him.

I found it difficult to concentrate in History because Tamiko kept whispering about me to her friends. Kairi noticed her and asked me if I would like her to punch Tamiko in the face. Even though it was a tempting offer, I didn't want Kairi to get into trouble.

At lunch, I saw Shu sitting at a table alone. Well, he wasn't exactly alone. That pest of a Tamiko was attempting to flirt with him while Shu was doing his best to ignore her.

Ugh, what a pest! Doesn't Tamiko know when she's not wanted?

I tried to walk up to Shu, but his fangirls kept getting in the way. They kept trying to make small talk with Shu and trying to get him to fall for them. Really, those fangirls were like annoying mosquitoes. It's a pity that Shu couldn't slap them away.

'Hey,' said a girl. 'Watch which way you're going.'

'I was just trying to talk to a friend.'

The girl scowled at me. 'Hold your tongue,' she said.

I tried my best to ignore the girl and move out of the way, but I suddenly felt someone trip me. I fell flat on my face. It wasn't as funny and more painful than it appears on TV. How do clumsy characters like Valt and Marinette from Miraculous Ladybug survive like this?

People still laughed at me, though. I had a feeling if it was done on purpose, the culprit was none other than Tamiko.

'Are you okay?'

I looked up to see Shu extending a hand towards me and smiling. My heart gave a flutter.

'I'm fine,' I muttered. I took Shu's hand and let him help me up. Er, what a classic highschool cliche. Only this took place at an elementary school and there's no food stuck to me (thank goodness).

I felt flustered again. 'Er... I'm sorry.'

Shu looked confused. 'Why are you apologizing for falling? It could have happened to anyone. Valt falls over all of the time.'

'No, for turning down your invitation yesterday. I didn't mean to upset you.'

'Oh, it's no big deal. You know, if you don't want to watch a movie, maybe we could just hang out together today after school.'