Worrying

Shu told me not to worry, but I did. I just couldn't stop worrying.

I told my new parents about how Shu's parents had treated me, and both of them were angry. My new Mom said that if she ever saw those people she would give them a piece of her mind.

Shu doesn't come over anymore. I think that he's too embarrassed since I had met his parents now.

I watched Valt's match against Xander and Zac's match against Akira. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how is he a boy. He seems really feminine.

But I found out why Akira seemed so feminine after her- I mean his match. I was in the bathroom when I heard people screaming. Surprised, I peeked out.

To my shock, Akira was in the girls' bathroom and was being harassed by some girls.

'Ew, you're a guy. Why are you here?' asked a brunette girl.

'Yeah, go to the boys' bathroom,' said a girl with bouncy curls.

Akira looked like he was going to cry. He quickly dashed out. I felt a little bad. It wasn't nice to get laughed at all of the time.

I went outside and saw Akira sitting at a corner sobbing. I went to him and tapped his arm. 'Hey there, are you okay?'

Akira looked up, shocked. 'Who are you?' he asked.

'My name's Rosalie Charmille,' I said. 'But everyone calls me Rose. I saw what happened earlier.'

Akira sighed. 'I... I know that I shouldn't be in the girls' bathroom. But I just can't help it.'

'Why?' I asked.

'I can't say,' said Akira. It's... It's awful.'

'What's awful?'

Akira looked down silently. 'You will laugh at me,' he said.

'No I won't,' I said.

'Fine,' said Akira. 'I'm... I'm transgender.'

I was surprised. I did not expect that. 'Transgender?' I asked.

'I have always preferred feminine things. When I was little, I would play with Barbie dolls and play with my mother's makeup. My parents didn't mind when we were at home, but in public they said, "Try to act like a boy." I hated going out because of that.'

'Are you still a boy? Or are you a girl now?'

'Well, right now I'm still a guy, but I'm thinking of changing my gender when I'm older. That's why I became a pop star. I can act as girly as I want and no one would notice. Well, I don't dress like a girl, and I try not to make it too obvious that I'm more girly than boyish, but I have more freedom than I used to have.

'Oh, and my hair? I was born blonde, but I dyed my hair pink last year so that I could feel like a girl. Do you know that pink used to be a masculine colour and blue was a feminine one?'

'No,' I said. 'I didn't know.'

'Your hair is gorgeous though,' said Akira. 'Maybe I'll dye my hair like yours next.'

'Do you want me to call you a girl? Or a boy?'

'Well, I'm technically still a boy so you can call me a boy for now.'

Akira and I ended up becoming good friends. We talked about stuff. We told each other about our favourite music (Akira likes pop music, especially Zac's songs), our favourite colours (Akira likes warm colours, but his favourites are pink and yellow) and our favourite movies (Akira likes Disney Princesses like me). We even exchanged phone numbers.

I bet that Akira's fans would be green with envy if they knew that I had his number. But I don't plan on telling them. It's not any of their business anyway.

However, I spotted Valt and Shu talking by the Beypark. I think that they were discussing the upcoming semi finals. Valt was up against Zac, and Shu was against Lui.

I was scared. I was certain Spryzen was going to break in that match. And what would I do then? I didn't want Shu to become Red Eye!

The next day was another play rehearsal. But I was so distracted by other stuff that I haven't been memorising my lines or practising my song.

Even though Morgan didn't sing in the movie, the director wrote an original song for her to sing with Giselle when they were shopping together. It was really catchy.

When I performed badly, the director kept yelling at me to 'buck up or you're out'! I was so stressed that I was considering quitting.

Yuri must have noticed that something was wrong, for she went up to me after rehearsal and asked if anything was wrong. But how could I explain that I was worried about Spryzen breaking and Shu going crazy? She wouldn't understand it at all.

I was distancing myself from everyone. Including Valt, Shu and Kairi. They are all worried about me and keep texting me like crazy. But I just ignored them.

I know, I shouldn't have done that. But I just feel so hopeless and sad. I have been spending all of my time in my room.

I'm starting to feel very homesick. Homesick for my old life! I thought of my noisy younger brother and my real-life parents. I like it here, but I just feel so hopelessly depressed.

I stared blankly at my Disney Princess poster. What was wrong with me?

I got out of bed and looked in the mirror. I was a mess, my hair was tangled, my eyes looked bloodshot. I really look horrible.

I considered making myself look more presentable, but I didn't have the energy. I wondered if music could make me feel better.

I turned on my phone and searched for some music videos on YouTube. I turned on Once Upon A Dream from Sleeping Beauty. Then A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes from Cinderella, and then Reflection from Mulan.

I thought of the last time Shu came over. My new parents had made a huge fuss of him and even offered a slice of chocolate cake. Shu had been so embarrassed and said, 'No, I don't want to get diabetes. I already had apple pie and strawberries dipped in chocolate.' We all laughed at that.

Just then, my new Dad said, 'Rose, are you coming out?'

'Why?' I asked.

'Shu is here,' he said.

Huh? He was joking, right? Because there was no way Shu was here after...

Wait a minute! Shu is here! I could see him from my window. And I looked like a mess! I had less than two minutes to make myself look presentable!