Caught Out

When Shu didn't wake up at lunchtime, my new Mom told me to wake him up. 'I don't want his sleeping the day away,' she said. 'Tell him that lunch is ready.'

I went up to the guest room. I gently shook Shu awake. 'Wake up sleeping beauty, it's lunchtime.'

Shu slowly opened his eyes. He was still sleepy, which I kind of found adorable. 'What time is it?' he asked drowsily.

'It's half past twelve,' I told him. That statement seemed to wake him up.

'Half past twelve?' he asked. 'I slept for almost thirteen hours!'

'This is what happens when you don't sleep,' I told him. 'I hope that you have learned your lesson.'

Shu smiled sheepishly. 'I guess so,' he said. 'Trust me, I won't do it again. Fighting to stay awake the entire day and trying not to give into the temptation to sleep in Math certainly isn't fun.'

'Well, you should go downstairs for lunch,' I told him. 'I have a ton of things to tell you.'

Now that both my parents knew how famous Shu was, they kept staring at him the entire time during lunch. It felt extremely uncomfortable. Shu, of course, had no idea why they were acting like that.

'Rose, why does your Mom keep staring at me?' he whispered. 'She's not one of my crazy fangirls, is she?'

I almost wanted to laugh at that. 'No chance,' I whispered back. 'She's married to my Dad, remember?'

After fifteen minutes of awkward staring, my new Dad asked Shu a question. 'So where's your parents?'

I almost choked on a piece of chicken. Why ask something so personal? Fortunately Shu was cool about it.

'Oh, they're busy,' he said. 'They are always busy.'

'Do you want us to drive you home?'

'No need. I can walk myself home.'

'Oh, Shu,' said my new Mom. 'Who's your girlfriend?'

That was one of the few times I saw Shu look shocked. He gave me a glance. I shook my head a little. Please don't say that it's me! Thankfully, Shu didn't give me away.

'Oh, I don't think that I can tell you. She's a little shy about our relationship.'

'Oh, I understand,' said my new Mom. 'I think that it's nice that Rose has such a nice friend. That charm bracelet you gave her was really pretty. She wears it every day.'

I felt myself blushing fiercely at that. 'Mom!' I said.

'Mts Charmille, you seem really nice, but I should be going soon,' said Shu. 'I don't want to overstay my welcome.'

We both quickly ran upstairs. As soon as we were both out of sight, we both breathed a sigh of relief. 'That was close,' I said.

'Too close,' said Shu. 'I almost had a heart attack when your parents asked me about my girlfriend, I mean you.'

'Shu, Valt called you earlier.'

'What?' asked Shu.

I told Shu everything that happened this morning, minus me snooping through his phone. Shu was shocked when I told him about my new Dad catching him sleepwalking.

'I didn't know that I sleepwalk,' said Shu. 'I must have really scared your Dad.'

'You did creep him out a little,' I said. 'But he's fine now.'

Shu went into the guest room to change back into his clothes. He wanted to give me back my old clothes, but I told him that he could keep them.

Then we both just kept staring at each other. 'So you wear my charm bracelet every day?' asked Shu.

'Of course,' I said. 'It reminds me of you.'

Somehow I wasn't ready to say goodbye to Shu yet. I felt that I was in one of those sappy teen movies from the 90s.

As if Shu could read my thoughts, he asked, 'Want to come over to my place tonight? I know that it's too soon, but...'

I gave Shu a hug. 'Best news ever,' I said.

Shu smiled at me. 'Do you know how much you mean to me?' he asked.

We slowly inched towards each other until we kissed. However, it was a bad time to do it.

'OMG!' came a voice. To my horror, I saw my new parents staring at us from outside the guest room door.

'Our Rose kissing a boy?' asked my new Mom. 'Wait a minute, you are Shu's girlfriend?'

We were both blushing furiously. It was no good denying it. We had been caught!

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

'So you have been with Shu Kurenai for three months and never said anything about it?' asked my new Dad.

'I didn't want to scare you guys,' I said. 'Besides, I liked the idea of a secret relationship.'

'No wonder you looked so uncomfortable when I asked Shu about his girlfriend. Oh Rose, why didn't you say anything?'

'I was embarrassed, alright? Some people have accused me of dating Shu because he's famous, but that's not true at all! I like Shu because he's sweet and kind!'

My new Dad sighed. 'Rose, I personally think that you're a little young to have a boyfriend, but I saw you two together and it was clear that you're both happy. Just don't sleep with him or anything.'

I sighed in relief. 'I'll be careful,' I said. 'Well, Shu asked me to...'

'We heard all about it,' said my new Mom. 'We'll let you go as long as you remember to call us before you go to bed.'

I wanted to jump in joy. 'Oh thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!'

I couldn't believe how supportive my new parents were being. Turns out that I had been worried for nothing!