The Christmas Party

The rest of the Regional Tournament progressed as normal. Well, almost normal. Daigo came up to me after the match and thanked me for helping him.

The outcome of the match? Well, Daigo lost, but he was only slightly disappointed. He said that I had made him see that no matter how well or badly he did in matches, no one could deny that he always tried his best in them.

Valt and Wakiya won the rest of their matches and qualified for the national tournament. Valt was so enthusiastic about it that he would talk anyone's ears off about it.

Once the Christmas holidays began, I spent many days at Kairi's house and she would spend some at mine. Sakura would often tag along.

My parents did their Christmas shopping at the mall. I came along to buy presents for all of my new friends.

My new Mom asked me if I was going to buy any presents for my friends back in America. That was awkward. I didn't know who Rose's friends in America were.

Days passed, and Christmas Eve finally came. There was a nice surprise waiting for me outside.

'It snowed!' I said at breakfast time.

My new Mom gave me a funny look. 'Since when do you get excited about snow? It snows every year in America.'

I didn't know how to explain that. All I wanted was to run outside and make a snowman.

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

I had no idea how cold it really was until I stepped outside. Even though I was in really warm clothes, I was still shivering from the coldness hitting my face. I gave up on my snowman halfway as it was really too cold for me. I headed back inside.

However, that caused my new Mom to get suspicious again. 'Tgis is the fastest I've seen you back inside on the first day of winter. Normally I have to shout for you to come back inside, and you would ignore me and catch a cold.'

Fortunately, I knew the perfect cover story.

'Well, I can't possibly catch a cold today, or else I'll miss the Christmas party.'

'Well, I guess that's true,' said my new Mom. 'I'm baking gingerbread men to bring to the party. Care to join me?'

To be honest, I preferred to call them gingerbread people. It sounded really sexist to call them men. Still, I enjoyed helping out. When I was a kid, I had always enjoyed helping my mother to bake cakes or cookies in my real life. But I lost interest after becoming a teenager.

Even though I still felt like a teenager, a part of me had a desire to act like a kid again. And as I helped my new mother mix the batter, I realized that I missed the simple innocence of childhood. Watching simple cartoons on TV that didn't really have a storyline but was enjoyable all the same. Drawing stuff that only consisted of simple shapes and stick figures. Watching your mother making cakes instead of watching YouTube videos.

For fun, I decorated some of the gingerbread people like my favourite fictional characters. One gingerbread boy had black hair, green eyes and glasses. One gingerbread girl had blond hair in a braid and a blue dress. Another gingerbread boy had blond hair, green eyes, and clothes the same colour of his eyes.

Fortunately, my new Mom didn't notice and thought that they were a result of my creativity.

I couldn't wait to show my friends at the party my gingerbread people. I even decorated some of them after them.

People loved the gingerbread people. But I thought that Chiharu Aoi's beybread was out of this world. My favourite was a Christmas bread the shape of a Christmas tree.

My friends and I exchanged presents. Of course, we couldn't open them as it wasn't Christmas Day yet. Suddenly, Kairi came up with an idea.

'What if we had a sleepover on New Year's Eve? We could stay up until midnight and have junk food and watch TV.'

'Sounds fun,' said Valt.

Shu rolled his eyes. 'Valt, every time we have a sleepover, you always fall asleep at ten at night. There's no way you will be able to stay up until midnight.'

'Oh yeah?' asked Valt. 'Watch me.'

After dinner, I felt really full. Shu handed me a mug of hot chocolate. It smelled amazing.

I took a sip. 'Whoa, it's really good.'

Shu blushed a little. 'Thanks,' he said.

Several people oohed. I realized that we were standing under mistletoe.

Shu and I stared at each other. Wow, what a turn of fate.

We gently kissed. It was our first kiss since the dojo. But I didn't feel comfortable in front of so many people watching us.

'Good thing we're not in public,' said Toko. 'Or else there would be a queue of girls lining up to kiss Shu.'

I noticed that Kairi looked a little sad. 'Is something wrong?' I asked.

'Well, I was thinking about Wakiya,' she said. 'I think that I may like him after all.'

'Why don't you tell him that?' I asked.

Kairi sighed. 'Well, I could. But I don't think that I can. I just feel so uncomfortable around him.'

'Cheer up,' I said. 'It's Christmas Eve. Let's just enjoy the holidays.'

Kairi smiled. 'Sure,' she said. 'Let's go and get some more hot chocolate while it's still available.'