Should I Prevent It?

I just watched Valt in silence. The blue-haired boy was too busy muttering to himself to notice me staring at him.

I wasn't too worried about Valt's behaviour because I knew what had caused it and that it will be solved later on.

However, at that moment, Shu and Rantaro were having a conversation outside the classroom. I knew that Shu was going to get injured later on.

I was wondering if I should prevent the injury from happening. If Nika hadn't tripped when she and Toko were trying to talk to Shu, he would have been fine.

However, I knew that I had to think of how the future would be affected if one event was changed. Nika wasn't completely responsible for Shu's shoulder injury. The main reason why Shu got injured in the first place was because he was training too hard and not resting enough.

There was a chance Shu might have still gotten hurt if the incident with Nika never happened. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he might have not learned that overworking isn't healthy. And what if he got injured at a more inconvenient time and couldn't participate in the national tournament?

Also, Shu wouldn't have taught himself to launch using his left hand if he hadn't been injured. Sometimes I wondered if Shu's arm still hurt in later seasons, but he never brought it up.

I sighed. All this drama because of a promise. Not that I minded. The promise was a mark of one of the best friendships in anime history. In fact, Valt and Shu were so close that people actually shipped them together.

However, I did not feel comfortable shipping them. Their friendship was an important part of the show. It was why the first two seasons, with Valt as the protagonist, were so memorable.

I knew that I should be getting to my next class. I went to science class. None of my friends were there.

I tried to finish my essay while waiting for the teacher. I had missed one and a half days of school due to being hospitalised and my King Lear essay had to be finished by tomorrow. I had decided to write about King Lear's relationship with his daughters.

At the last minute, a new teacher came in. He said that his name was Mr Noriko and he was the substitute teacher.

At first, I thought that he was just strict, but as the lesson went on he was doing some pretty unreasonable things. A girl with blond pigtails raised her hand to go to the bathroom, but Mr Noriko said that she could not. Five minutes later the girl's skirt looked suspiciously red and I realized what must have happened.

The teacher scolded her even though she couldn't help it. I felt really bad for the girl. When she cried, Mr Noriko told her to shut up.

After class was over, I quickly ran out to find Kairi. 'Kairi, do you have any pads?' I asked. Fortunately, Kairi had some and gave them to me.

I found the girl attempting to clean her skirt. I gave her the pads and my jacket to hide the stains. The girl thanked me.

'I'm Rose. Short for Rosalie.'

'Rosalie? Like from Twilight?'

'Yeah, I guess.'

'My name's Yuri Akio. Short for nothing.'

'I'm sorry for what Mr Noriko did earlier. No one should be humiliated like that.'

Yuri smiled. 'It's all right. I'm used to it. I get picked on all of the time.'

I felt bad for Yuri. She seemed like a sweet girl.

Yuri went into a toilet stall to clean up. She exited with the jacket tied around her waist like a sash.

Yuri told me that she was the eldest of four siblings and her single mother had to work three jobs to support the family. Her father had disappeared four years ago. Yuri got made fun of for wearing second-hand clothes.

Yuri told me that she was worried that social services may take her and her siblings away from their mother because it's very difficult to raise four children alone. It reminded me of Lilo and Stitch, only worse, for Nani only had one kid to look after (two if you count Stitch). I didn't blame Yuri for being worried.

I asked Yuri about her father, but Yuri was only seven when she last saw him and didn't even know what he looked like anymore.

Yuri sat with Kairi and me during lunch. For some reason, Kairi was acting strange. She was super quiet and didn't say much. When I couldn't take the silence anymore, I decided to ask her a question.

'Kairi, why are you so quiet? This isn't like you.'

'I'm confused,' said Kairi.

'Confused about what?' I asked.

'I talked to Wakiya today,' said Kairi.

Well, that was interesting. 'Really? What did you guys talk about?'

'Well, he asked me how you were doing. I told him that you were fine and why didn't he ask you himself. Then things got a little odd.'

'What?' asked Yuri.

'We just stared at each other and I felt a little weird,' said Kairi. 'I didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt fluttery, as if I had eaten too many strawberries and ice cream for tea.'

I suddenly had a feeling that I knew what was going on. 'Kairi, do you like Wakiya?'

'What? No, I don't,' said Kairi. But her cheeks went a little pink.

I decided not to press the matter further. I wouldn't make a decision until I knew exactly what was going on.