Does He Like Me?

On the third day, I was feeling a lot better and could go back to school. To be honest, I was really bored being stuck in bed at home.

Kairi had visited me and told me everything that was going on. She even told me that she had talked to Wakiya about his crush on her.

'I said that I was sorry for upsetting him, but he said that he had forgotten about it. Then he told me that the reason why he keeps bragging to me is because he was trying to impress me. We decided to be friends, but it's something.'

'That's nice.'

'Oh, and Valt was acting really weird in school today. He kept doing things for Shu. But when Shu dropped his pen and Valt practically dove to get it, I thought that it was too much.'

I nodded. I knew why Valt was being strangely overprotective of Shu. But I wasn't saying.

'Actually, I saw Shu at the hospital when I went there.'

'Really? What did he say?'

'Well, he was a little flustered. But he ran off before I could ask him why he was there.'

'Do you think that Shu caught your stomach flu?'

'No. He didn't look sick. And if he had caught it, he wouldn't be in school today.'

'Oh. Good point.'

I wondered what I would do when I saw Shu in school when I returned there. I still had to ask him out for a date. But there was a good chance Shu might be embarrassed about me seeing him in the hospital. Right now, the beyclub would already know.

But there was no delaying the inevitable conversation. As luck would have it, the first person I would bump into when I arrived at school was Shu.

Well, depending on one's point of view, it could also be unlucky.

'Shu!' I said.

'Rose,' said Shu. 'Er... Hi.'

I felt my face heating up. 'Well, how are things?'

'Fine?'

I wasn't sure if Shu deliberately made his statement sound like a question or not. But I think that he might have been on purpose.

Shu and I glanced at each other. 'How are you feeling?' asked Shu. 'Kairi told me that you had the stomach flu.'

'I'm better now,' I said. 'Are you okay? I mean, you were at the hospital for a reason.'

Now it was Shu's turn to go red. 'I'm fine, really.'

I decided not to press the matter. Maybe this would be a good time to ask Shu out. But when I opened my mouth, nothing came out. It was like I had forgotten how to speak.

This was ridiculous. It wasn't as if I had given my voice to a sea witch. Why did having a crush made someone unable to think straight or weak in the knees?

I just stared into Shu's crimson red eyes. I couldn't stand there all day. So I blurted it out.

'Wouldyouliketogooutwithme?'

'I'm sorry, what?' asked Shu. 'I didn't understand.'

'Would you like to go out with me?'

'Oh,' said Shu. 'Well, um, I...'

I backed away. 'It's... It's okay if you don't want to. I just wanted to know... Well, bye.'

As I turned around, Shu said, 'Wait!'

I turned back. 'Yes?' I asked.

'Of course I'll go out with you,' said Shu.

My heart started doing somersaults. All my dreams were coming true!

I felt that I was in a dream. Shu and I walked to Math class together. Shu's fangirls were giving me dirty looks again, but I hardly cared. Shu and I were going on a date! I didn't even mind when Tamiko kicked my seat. Miss Yoshida caught her and gave her a ticking off.

In Japanese class, I couldn't stop grinning like a Cheshire cat. Everything seemed great now that I had plucked up the courage to ask Shu out. I couldn't wait for the class to end so that I could tell Kairi what had happened.

It wasn't until class was almost over when I suddenly noticed that I was somehow holding Shu's hand. I pulled away at once.

'Er... Sorry, I didn't mean to.'

'It's... It's alright,' said Shu. For the first time, I noticed that Shu looked really nervous. Then I remembered the time he had asked me to go out to the cinema with him and the Aoi family.

A thought crept into my mind. Did Shu Kurenai have a crush on me? I thought of what Kairi said about me seeing Shu as a person instead of a celebrity.

I remembered how panicked Shu acted when he saw me at the hospital. Okay, something was definitely off with that.

I told Kairi all about my suspicions before History class. She said that it was very possible that Shu had a crush on me.

'Would it be romantic?' she said. 'You like Shu, Shu likes you, but you're both too shy to tell each other.'

'But Shu isn't shy!'

'You wouldn't believe how shy he was as a little kid. I'm sure that it is possible.'

I didn't have a reply to that.

I've just realized that the title is the complete opposite of the fifth chapter's title.