Living As Someone Else

When school ended, I decided to go to Principal Shinoda's office. I planned to tell him about the bullying that Shu is suffering from.

But as I told him about how Sora framed Shu for bullying and how Shu had been unfairly punished, he told me that Valt had already told him during lunch. So that explained why Valt had been late.

"I have already informed Mrs Suzuki about this and Shu's detention has been lifted. Mrs Suzuki now knows that he was not to blame. However, I'm glad that you and Valt had brought this to my attention, because I have reason to believe that Shu has been going through a difficult time lately."

I was surprised. Did Principal Shinoda already know something?

"Long before you started attending this school, I have noticed that Shu's parents don't attend any events or parent-teacher meetings. Shu always tell me that his parents are too busy to pay attention to him, but I suspect that it isn't the case."

Parent-teacher meetings take place twice a year, one near the Christmas holidays and one the week before summer holidays.

"Of course, I don't want to pry in his private family affairs, but if he has been bullied than something has to be done about it. I have decided to have a private meeting between me, you and Valt on Saturday. I haven't informed Valt of this fact yet and plan on telling him tomorrow."

I was surprised. Principal Shinoda wanted to meet with me and Valt to discuss Shu? "In that case, I will tell Valt myself."

Valt had been surprised when I told him about the proposed meeting. "I wonder what he's going to discuss with us," said Valt.

"Well, we will know soon," I told him.

I soon learned that Valt planned to swap with Shu for the day. Shu told Valt to not burn his kitchen down.

Guess who I decided to swap with? Claire! I was curious about her bisexual mother and stepmother.

Claire's mother looks like her. She had the same brown hair and tan skin.

I smiled at her. "My name is Rosalie Charmille, but you can call me Rose. So, Mrs Granger, right?"

"Oh, call me Esme. It's kind of complicated because I'm married to a woman."

Claire's stepmother was named Juliette Beaumont, and I can also call her by name. She seemed very delicate, with a tiny figure, pale golden hair that fell to her waist, and pale grey eyes. Her clothes were all pastel in colour. However, she isn't soft at all.

"When I was in school, I was the captain of the hockey team and the only girl," said Juliette. "The boys on the other teams thought that they would have an easy win, but they weren't expecting my powerful aim."

Juliette liked to bake, and she taught me how to make macarons, a popular French pastry. It was really enjoyable.

Maybe I should consider taking up baking. I'm definitely a better one than Valt.

I asked Esme about Claire's father. Now I wish that I haven't. Claire's father had been a teacher, but when the school he had been teaching in caught fire, he had gone to rescue a student who had been trapped inside.

Claire had been four years old at the time, way too young to understand what was happening. Since she had two mother figures, she didn't know what having a father was like.

I told Esme and Juliette about how I had adjusted to living in Japan. When I told them about Valt and Shu, Esme said that when Claire saw him on TV, she had gained a celebrity crush on him and wouldn't stop talking about Valt for days.

I hoped that Claire would grow out of her fangirl phase soon. It would be very awkward to see her swooning for Valt.

Claire's room was full of Valt! There were Valt posters and even a Victory Valtryek plushie. I didn't even know there were Beyblade plushies.

Claire watched Barbie movies like Shu. Esme said that her favourite was the Princess Charm School one. I ended up watching the Island Princess one.

I think that I must have fallen asleep for a while, because the next thing I knew, it was almost midnight. I thought that I should probably go to bed for real, even if the bed felt really weird and big. I couldn't wait to return to my normal life tomorrow.