Not What I Expected

It was really awkward in rehearsals. Now that Hachiro now understood that I didn't want to be his girlfriend, he kept his distance from me. I should be relieved, but I could sense that he was upset.

Yuri seemed to have lost her voice, for whenever she opened her mouth to sing, her voice came out hoarse. I asked her if she was sick, but she kept saying that she was fine.

Kairi has been helping me improve my performance, but she's not much of an actress herself. She would over-dramatise everything. Her acting was more suited for a comedy show than a play.

One day during a rehearsal, Yuri didn't seem to want to open her mouth. The director got impatient with her.

'Hey, what's the matter with your voice? I'm starting to consider kicking you out.'

'Sorry,' muttered Yuri before coughing. I went to her, concerned.

'Shouldn't you see a doctor? Your voice sounds weird.'

'No, I'm not sick,' said Yuri.

But something was up with her voice. Her voice wasn't as clear as usual. I felt that I had to practically force her to see a doctor. But Yuri kept refusing.

'I can't see a doctor! My family can't afford to pay for an appointment.'

'Yuri...'

Just then, Valt came rushing to me. 'Hey there!' he said cheerfully. 'How's rehearsals going on?'

'Um... Yuri's voice isn't doing so well.'

'Huh?' asked Valt. He looked at Yuri, who wasn't saying a word.

She shook her head, not wanting to say anything.

'I'm sorry, I don't understand,' said Valt.

'I... I can't go to the doctor. I'm too poor.'

'Yuri, there must be something wrong,' I said. 'Look, how about I explain the situation to my parents? They can pay for your appointment.'

Yuri's eyes widened. She didn't say anything, but I could tell that she was grateful.

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

My new parents brought Yuri to the doctor, and he gave some pretty shocking news.

'Yuri, it looks like you have laryngitis.'

'I have what now?' asked Yuri before coughing again.

The doctor explained that Yuri had to rest her voice if she didn't want to damage it forever. 'Your throat should be able to heal for a year or so,' he said. 'You must not strain your voice too much.'

I thought that Yuri was going to burst into tears. She wouldn't have a chance to sing for a long time.

'Wait, what about the play?' I asked. Yuri looked at me. 'What?' I asked.

'Rose, you have to take my role,' she said. I almost fainted in shock.

'What? Me be Giselle? But I have been practising for Morgan for ages. Besides, who would take her role?'

'Please!' said Yuri. 'You can play this part, I just know it.'

'But but...'

However, Yuri's big brown eyes kept looking at me, so I gave in. 'Fine, I'll be Giselle. But I'm not happy about it.'

Still, that left the question of who would play Morgan. Kairi probably knew the part well, but her acting was terrible.

Suddenly, an idea came to me. Kairi wasn't the only person who had read the lines with me. But would she... It was a mad idea. But worth a try.

I quickly ran to Kairi's house as soon as my new parents dropped Yuri off at home. For those of you who are confused, I wasn't thinking of Kairi.

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

Kairi was surprised to see me at the door. 'Rose, what's going on?'

'No time to explain,' I said. 'Where is Sakura?'

'In her room playing Roblox,' said Kairi. 'Why do you ask?'

'I need to talk to her,' I said. 'It's important.'

'But it's not a good time to...'

Just then, I heard a scream from Sakura's room. Kairi and I ran to it.

'What's wrong?' asked Kairi.

'I almost won this round of Deathrun, but somebody beat me to it!'

Oh, it was a Roblox game.

'Sakura, how would you like to act in the musical?'

Sakura gasped. 'Me in a musical? But all the roles have been casted.'

I explained the whole situation to Kairi and Sakura. 'Yuri has to drop out of the play because of a medical issue. She told me to take the role of Giselle so I need you to be Morgan.'

Sakura's mouth dropped open. 'Me? Act in a play?'

'That is, if you can act.'

'Well, I'll try.'

Sakura took my script and read from it. Her voice sounded fluid and natural, and she can act.'

'This is great!' said Kairi. 'Mom and Dad will be so proud of you.'

Sakura beamed. 'Thanks,' she said.

'Can you sing?' I asked.

'Yeah,' said Sakura.

'Great!' said Kairi. 'We will have to practice the song.'

The play was a month and a half away. Hopefully that was enough time for Sakura and I to learn our new parts.