Baking Lessons

Claire had a lot to say about my parents when we went to school the next day.

"Your parents are amazing! I had this thing called Mac and cheese for dinner, and it was so good that I had seconds. And thirds! Sorry, I probably sound really greedy, but I love anything to do with cheese."

"Your Mom and stepmother sound really nice too," I said. "You are really lucky to have them."

"I am pleased," said Claire. "Your room is so pretty and pink! I now wish that I never gave away my Princess Belle and Cinderella things away. I thought that I was getting too old for that stuff."

Valt came up to me and told me about staying at Shu's apartment. He hadn't enjoyed it at all.

"It was so boring with nobody to talk to. And it was really difficult to make dinner with no supervision. I almost set water on fire."

"How can you set water on fire?" I asked.

Claire just looked at Valt with a dreamy smile on her face, clearly hoping that Valt would notice her. Unfortunately for her, Valt kept talking to me the entire time.

I asked Valt if I could come over to his house after school. "Claire's stepmother taught me how to bake, and now I'm thinking of trying it out. Maybe your Mom can give me a few tips."

Valt happily agreed, so after school that day, I went to the Aoi house. Toko and Nika chattered the entire way.

Chiharu greeted me happily. "Hello Rose, it has been a while. How's your mother and the baby?"

"Both are doing well," I said. "Mom is at her third trimester now."

"What?" asked Valt. "Trimes... What?"

I sighed. "It means she's in her final stage of her pregnancy."

I asked Chiharu about what she was baking. She told me that she was baking a chocolate cheesecake. I asked her if I could join in.

"Sure," said Chiharu. "You know, you remind me of myself when I was your age. I loved baking with my mother as well."

I found baking with Chiharu really fascinating. It was fun measuring the ingredients, cracking eggs carefully and mixing the batter. Chiharu didn't let me near the oven so that I wouldn't burn myself.

I must admit that Chiharu had a good point. I didn't fancy burning myself either. I was perfectly happy with doing the non-oven things.

Valt came up to me. "You are a much better cook than me. Mom tried to teach me how to bake a cake a few years ago, but I threw the eggs into the bowl."

"Why would you do that?" I asked.

Valt giggled. "I guess that I wasn't thinking properly," he said. "The cake decorating was always my favourite part though I would usually make a huge mess."

I asked Chiharu if I could borrow a cookbook. She agreed to it. "Though if you are in doubt, then you are welcome to ask me for tips," she said. "Which do you prefer, cakes, buns cookies or doughnuts?"

"I think that I will try cakes," I told her. So I was given a cookbook for cakes and cupcakes. I couldn't wait to start!

My parents were surprised when I returned home with the cookbook. "I'm going to learn how to make cakes. Isn't that exciting?"

"Well, yes, but you do know that the ingredients cost money," said Mom. "And you know that we are going to have a baby shower in a few weeks."

"Oh, I'm not going to bake that often," I said. "When's the baby shower again?"

"Oh, it's just over two weeks from now," said my Dad. "Let me see... Ah, it's on 23rd September."

I gasped in shock. I knew that day really well.

"That's Shu's birthday!" I said.

My parents looked surprised as well. "You didn't tell us that it was Shu's birthday!"

"Well, it's still pretty far away. Shu's birthday on the same day as the baby shower? This isn't good."

I was alarmed. I had planned to invite all my friends to the baby shower. But now it's going to be on the same day as Shu's birthday! I would be cross if my birthday was on the same day as the baby shower!

Shu would probably be too polite to complain about it, but I didn't want to upset him further. He had hardly spoken at all today.

I texted Kairi about it.

Me: Kairi, my Mom's baby shower is over two weeks from now!

Kairi: That's nice. You must be looking forward to it.

Me: No, you don't understand. It's on Shu's birthday.

Kairi: Oh, you should have said so.

Me: I just did. I'm worried that Shu might get upset.

Kairi: I don't get it. I wouldn't mind attending a baby shower on my birthday.

Me: But I want to make Shu's birthday special. I was considering baking him a birthday cake, but now I have no idea what to do.

Kairi didn't reply, so she was probably also unsure. I felt like everything's going wrong all over again.