Adventure in the Jungle

The next day, we all started off in Wakiya's jet. We had to stop just outside the jungle, so we had to navigate the forest ourselves.

In the original show, Carl, Cuza's pet parrot, led the Bey club through the jungle, though they eventually got lost. But now we had to find out our way ourselves. Of course, we got lost pretty quickly. It didn't help that I was hot and sweaty.

"Can we stop?" begged Kairi after an hour of walking. "My feet are killing me."

"Sure," said Wakiya. "We aren't getting anywhere at this rate."

"Don't worry," said Daigo. "I have dropped some breadcrumbs so that we can find our way back."

I looked at the direction we came. I didn't see any breadcrumbs. Not that I was surprised, to be honest. Even though there was no Carl to eat the breadcrumbs, other animals would still be around.

"I don't see any breadcrumbs," said Valt.

"Birds have probably already eaten them," I said. "Did you not read Hansel and Gretel? They got lost because of breadcrumbs."

We had a short break before starting off again. Valt was in the lead, determined to find Shu. Soon, he gasped. "Guys, check this out!"

To my horror, I saw a zipline. And there was this large cliff. I started to feel sick. Wakiya was trembling from behind a tree. I had totally forgotten about the zipline!

"I'm not going," I said.

"You have gone all the way here," said Kairi. "You can't give up now."

"But I'm scared of heights. You know that."

"You can do this!" said Valt encouragingly. "Do this for Shu!"

Kairi tried to gently coax Wakiya. "Don't be scared, Wakiya. Just close your eyes and it will all be over before you know it."

I wished that I could forget how high up I was. I could feel my legs shaking as I stood there holding the handles and looked down fearfully.

I was surprised that unlike in the show, the Beyclub was waiting at the start, patiently encouraging me and Wakiya. I must have changed more of the show than I thought.

"You know, I would hold you, but Shu might not like it," said Valt.

"I can't," I whispered.

"Yes you can," said Valt. "Just close your eyes."

I did as he asked. Then I felt hands on my back.

"Now I will push you very gently," said Valt. "You won't go fast. Just don't open your eyes until you stop."

I nodded. "Just hurry up before I change my mind."

"Here goes nothing," said Valt. He gave me a soft push. It was just enough to get me going. After a while, I stopped. Then I opened my eyes.

I was at the other side! The scary part was over.

Kairi used the same tactic with Wakiya, though it took a bit longer to convince him. Well, it worked a lot better than in the show, when Cuza had just pushed him without warning. Walking on the rope had not helped matters. In fact, I think that it made Wakiya's fear worse.

After he was safely over too, the not-scared-of-heights people used the zipline quickly. Then we all started off. At least Rantaro doesn't have to carry Wakiya this time.

"That was really brave of you," Valt told me. "I could tell that you were terrified the whole time."

"Thanks," I said.

"I bet that Shu would be really proud of you for conquering your fear," said Valt.

I saw Kairi talking to Wakiya. It made me miss Shu even more.

"I'm worried about Shu," I told Valt.

"I know," said Valt. "But Shu is strong. I'm sure that he will find a way to..."

Just then, Kairi said, "What's that?"

We noticed a strange path. Did it lead somewhere?

It did! We were led to the Snake Pit. "So this is it," said Rantaro.

"Come on," said Valt.

But just then, a voice called out, "Stop, trespassers."

I gasped. For standing at the entrance was Red Eye, I mean Shu.

He was wearing a dark grey mask with red lenses. I could tell that it was Shu, but nobody else could.

"Is this the Snake Pit?" asked Valt.

Shu/Red Eye (I'm not sure what to call him at this point) didn't say a word.

"Hey, are you ignoring us?" asked Wakiya.

"Question, do you know anyone named Shu? I need to talk to him," said Valt.

"Prepare for battle," called out Shu/Red Eye.

A platform containing a Beyblade stadium appeared. I tried not to look at Shu/Red Eye. I could feel my heart racing when I did.

Valt happily introduced himself and asked for his opponent's name.

"Red Eye."

"That's a weird name," said Valt.

I wanted to slap my forehead. Even if I didn't know if Red Eye was Shu, it would be pretty obvious that Red Eye isn't a real name.

However, the atmosphere shifted quickly when Shu/Red Eye showed Spryzen. I'm surprised that no one figured out that Shu was Red Eye at that moment.

"That's my friend's bey!" said Valt. "What have you done to him?"

"Shu as you know him is gone!"

Even though I knew that Shu was still there, it hurt a lot. Everyone else gasped.

As the battle started, I just stood in my place mutely. Just a week before, he was fine. Had he batted Free yet? That was what caused him to go to the Snake Pit in the show.

After Shu/Red Eye won the battle, he told us to leave. Valt was angry. "Give Spryzen back! It's not yours!"