Who Saves Who

I don't know how long I had been unconscious. All I knew was that I woke up in the hospital again. This time, Kairi and Sakura were there.

'Rose!' called Sakura.

'Oh thank the heavens you're alright,' said Kairi.

I sat up in bed. 'How long...'

'Eight hours,' said Kairi.

Eight hours? I couldn't believe it. But the serious look on Kairi's face told me that she was saying the truth.

'Have my parents heard about this?' I asked.

Kairi nodded. 'They came to see you earlier and are now talking to the doctor.'

'What about Tamiko?' I asked in a small voice.

'Principal Shinoda was shocked when he heard what she did. He expelled her on the spot. Serves her right too.'

I was surprised to hear that Tamiko had been expelled. But at least I wouldn't have to see her again. I was honestly sick and tired of her bullying.

'On the bright side, the Beyclub won against the Swordflames,' said Kairi. 'I was surprised to see that Valt didn't send himself out at all. Still, they did pretty fantastic.'

Kairi and I talked for a bit, then a doctor came in the room.

I had to go through a few checkups to make sure that I was alright. Then the doctor said that I was free to go.

However, my mind couldn't stop nagging me about Shu. I just had to see him. So Kairi and I went to see him.

I almost ran out of the room when I saw Shu's condition. He was plugged to a life support machine. It scared me to see him look so lifeless.

I went over to Shu. 'Shu, can you hear me? I'm sorry I said those harsh words to you. I didn't mean it, really. I can't imagine how hurt you must have felt. I just want to let you know that I will be here for you, no matter what. You're special to me.'

'You should kiss him,' suggested Kairi.

'Are you nuts?' I asked. 'I can't kiss Shu without his consent! That would be plain rude.'

'Well, it works in fairy tales,' said Kairi. 'Maybe your kiss will wake him up.'

'Kairi, wake up. Life isn't a fairy tale. Besides, Shu isn't cursed. It wouldn't work anyway.'

'Hey, I was just pulling your leg,' said Kairi. 'Of course I know that it won't work.'

However, what Kairi said had given me food for thought. When I was back home, I thought of fairy tale kisses.

In fairy tales, true love's kiss was used to break curses. That was how Snow White or Sleeping Beauty (Aurora in Disney's version) were freed from their spells.

However, there was another interesting thing about fairy tale princesses. The prince was always the one to save the princess. Well, most of the time. In Beauty and the Beast, the girl saves the guy, for a change.

Was it a stereotype back in those days to have the guy save the girl? Girls who had to be rescued were called damsels in distress. What would you call a guy who had to be rescued?

Right now, Shu was the one in trouble, which meant that I have to be the one to help him. But that also meant that I have to help myself.

The recent Disney Princesses are more independent than the classic ones. Sometimes they would do the saving. Other times they would help themselves. I couldn't help Shu if I didn't know how to help myself.

I have to figure this out myself, I thought. I can't always depend on someone to save me.

But there was nothing I could do to help Shu in his current state. He would have to wake up on his own. But there was something else I could do.

I had a book full of coloured sticky notes and now I knew what I was going to do with them. I wrote inspirational messages on each one of them. By the time I was finished, it was almost midnight.

Yikes! I should probably get some sleep. I had school tomorrow.

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

After school the next day, I went to the hospital to see Shu again. This time I brought my book of inspirational messages with me. I was planning on giving it to Shu.

I decided to see Ryota first. Daigo was there too, so we talked while Ryota played with his handmade puppets that he had made with Ken.

'Valt's really worried about Shu,' said Daigo. 'He went to visit him last night and burst into tears the moment he saw Shu. It must be terrifying seeing your best friend like that.'

I knew how close Valt and Shu were. They were like brothers from different parents. I actually liked the polar opposite best friends trope. There were Tiana and Charlotte from The Princess and the Frog, Sophie and Agatha from The School for Good and Evil, and Wednesday and Enid from Wednesday. But Valt and Shu were still my favourite polar opposite best friends.

'Do you think that Shu will be alright?' I asked.

'I hope so,' said Daigo. 'Honestly, it scared me to see him in his current state.'

I nodded before leaving to visit Shu. He was still in the same state he was in yesterday. I set the small book beside his bed.

'Shu, I hope that you'll be alright,' I said. I took his hand, but then something strange happened.

I could have sworn that I felt Shu squeezing my hand slightly. My heart gave a leap.