Musical Auditions

A few days later, I had barely stepped foot into school when Kairi practically tackled me to the ground.

'Whoa there, what's the rush?' I asked.

'Auditions! Auditions! Auditions!' said Kairi.

'Whoa, slow down,' I said.

Kairi sighed. 'Never mind I'll show you,' she said. She grabbed my hand and dragged me to the noticeboard. 'Look!'

'A Valentine's Day party?' I asked.

'Huh? Oh, I forgot about that. Beigoma Academy has one every year. But I was talking about the auditions for this year's musical.'

Oh no. I had forgotten about Kairi suggested that I audition for a musical.

'Come on, you'll like it,' said Kairi. 'This year, it's Enchanted.'

I already knew the movie. It was about a girl from a fairy tale kingdom who ends up in the real world and falls in love with a guy who lived there. Now that I think of it, that was basically my story in reverse.

'And you think that I should audition?' I asked.

'Come on. You look the part, and you can sing it too.'

Enchanted is Kairi's favourite Disney movie. I have already watched it twice in this world. Last time I couldn't help but sing That's How You Know because it was so catchy.

'But you don't know if I can act.'

'You won't know unless you try.'

'But I don't want to do it.'

'Why are you so afraid of auditioning, Rose?'

'Because I have never been in a play before. What if everyone laughs at me?'

'Come on, you will be fine,' said Kairi. 'You should try.'

I was terrified at the thought of singing in front of people. Singing was just something I do for myself. I don't like singing in front of others as it feels that I'm being judged all of the time. But Kairi was so persistent that I finally agreed to audition.

~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~🌹~

I felt so many butterflies in my stomach as I waited for my turn to audition. I didn't feel so good, but I ignored it. 

Yuri auditioned as well, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that she was very bubbly on stage. She would probably get the role of Giselle.

'I didn't know that you are so good at acting,' I told her afterward.

'I like acting,' said Yuri. 'By the way, is it true that you have the voice of an angel?'

I flushed. 'Don't be silly,' I said. 'I suppose that Kairi exaggerated. But I can sing.'

'I can't wait to hear you,' said Yuri. 'Oh, and don't sing a song from the movie.'

'Why?' I asked.

'Because if your voice doesn't exactly fit the tone of the song, you won't get chosen. Why did you think I went with Once Upon A Dream instead of That's How You Know?'

'I thought that you just liked the song.'

'You don't know a thing about auditions, do you?'

'No.'

'Well, whatever you do, make sure to pick a song you know well and also fits in with the character you want to act. Oh, and there's a chance you will have to come back for callbacks.'

'Callbacks?'

I think that Yuri wanted to slap her face. But she patiently explained to me.

'Well, if the director can't decide between two or more people they will call them back for a second audition. That's a callback.'

Wow. Acting is a lot more complicated than I thought. I almost got a headache trying to sort it out. 

Just then, my name was called. 'Good luck,' said Yuri.

'Thanks,' I said.

As soon as I stood on the stage, I felt sick again. The judges were teachers I didn't know. 'State your name, the role you will be auditioning for, and what song you are going to sing.'

Something about this didn't sit right with me. 'But not everyone sang in the movie,' I said. 

'Well, we don't want anyone to be left out,' said a female teacher. 'If you aren't good enough to have a singing role, we will assign a non-singing role. We will be testing your acting abilities as well.'

I nodded nervously. 'My name is Rosalie Charmille, I'm going to be auditioning for Giselle and I will be singing Part Of Your World from The Little Mermaid.'

As I started singing, I forgot that there was even an audience. I completely threw myself into the song. As soon as I finished, the judges told me that I was very good. 

Later on, we all had to take turns doing scenes from the movie. I had to do the scene in the restaurant. I got paired up with a fourth grader named Hachiro Goro. He wasn't a good actor. He kept giving me googly eyes the entire time. It felt extremely uncomfortable.

Come on, you can do this, I thought. Pretend that he's Robert.

But it took a ton of self control to stop myself from grabbing Hachiro and yelling, 'Robert isn't supposed to be in love with Giselle yet!'

As soon as the auditions were finished, I left the room thankfully. But Hachiro followed me. 'Hey there,' he said. 'Wouldn't it be awesome if you were Giselle and I was Robert?'

Well, the first thought that came in my head was that it would be the worst thing ever. But I didn't want to be too rude, especially after what happened as Zac's party. 'There's a very slim chance of that happening,' I said. 

I tried to walk away, but Hachiro kept running after me, gushing about how fun it would be to play love interests. I felt so humiliated having him go after me.

No one in the Beyclub had auditioned, mostly because they were preoccupied with the National Tournament. I couldn't imagine what Shu would say if he saw Hachiro right now. I hoped that Hachiro would get tired of going after me.