───※ ·18· ※───

"Thompson, come so hi." It was still so surreal seeing Thompson right in front of me. What was he doing here? What sort of coincidence was this?

I was staring at Thompson dumbfoundedly and he was busy doing the same, not moving to say hi. Thompson from my class? This wasn't real. Our parents kept maneuvering their gazes from me to Thompson and then back to me again.

"Please don't tell me you guys are dating," Mother groaned, almost face-palming herself if it wasn't for her makeup. Sam, Thompson's father, let out an awkward laugh instead.

"Mum!" I exclaimed, same time Thompson shook his head to clarify by saying, "No ma."

"She's my classmate," Thompson went on, striding closer and pointing at me. "I was just surprised to see her here."

"Oh," Mother said, smiling at his Dad. "Good. Why don't we go over to the dining room?"

Mother gestured to the room she was referring to, before leading the way.

"You? Really?" Thompson chuckled as we walked side by side to the dining room, but his chuckles weren't heartfelt ones. I looked down at my sneakers, not sure of what to say.

We arrived at the dining room with Mum sitting at the edge and Sam, sitting on the chair by her left. I sat on Mother's right and Thompson sat beside me.

"Today's dinner is continental," Mother said very proudly. She raised a glass and slightly hit it with a fork and seconds after that gesture from Mother, the chef, and his assistants came rushing in with several dishes. I wasn't surprised, Mother was an interesting and sophisticated woman that loved making an appearance even for the littlest thing.

"Whoa," I heard Thompson mutter under his breath. He was watching the main dish being placed at our center.

"D-do you need water?" I wasn't sure what to ask. I was just stupid and nervous enough to think water could quench his overwhelming state. Why didn't Mother make things at a comfortable level? What was she aiming at? Overwhelming her guest to death?

Thompson on the other hand, fell quiet and refused my offer. I sighed and opened the main dish in front of us once the chef and his assistants were gone, and after we'd said the grace.

I wanted to groan and face-palmed myself after I saw what it was.

"What's this?" Thompson asked in awe, but mostly to himself.

"Oh, um..." I tried remembering the name. "Something... Something, maggot, something."

"Maggot?!" Sam asked, shocked.

"Not maggot, honey," Mother turned to me with a scolding look. "What she'd meant to say was, Escargots de Bourgogne, it's a French dish."

"Oh," Sam muttered, then poked at the meal which was in a ball shape. It looked like he was expecting it to come alive and eat his face or something.

"I can see why you said maggot," Thompson muttered. "With a name as long as that, I'd be calling it maggot too."

I pulled my glasses up my nose, smiling shyly. I guess his hard phase was melting down a bit.

"Thompson, so how do you see Greenville High?" Mother asked in-between meals. "You must be a star student 'cause you look like one."

"Thompson is really intelligent, his grades surprise me all the time," Sam said proudly.

"Nsikan's grades surprise me all the time too," Mother turned and scrunched her nose at me.

I wanted the ground to swallow me more than ever. I felt a tap on my wrist and turned to see Thompson leaning toward me. "Don't worry, my father embarrasses me all the time too."