───※ ·49· ※───

Thompson and I kneeled on the tiled floor, afraid to look at our angry parents. We fear we couldn't subside their temper. Mother has never punished me like this before, but it seemed Thompson's father had enough hold on her for her to do what he'd said.

"Why did you risk your life like that? What if something bad happened?" Mother wasn't done with her scolding, as her firing gaze kept burning holes into my head.

"I expected more from you, Thompson," his father scolded bitterly. "I expected you to use your brain at all times and to take care of your sister." Thompson and I looked at each other—"but look at what happened."

"Daddy," Thompson breathed. "It's Damian we are talking about. He would've done the same for us."

I nodded rapidly, but my mother gave me a warning gaze to stop.

"Damian would've advised you to inform the adults instead of taking matters into your own hands. When will you be smart?" Thompson frowned at the idea of him being compared to someone else.

"Look both of you," my mum said, stepping forward before things went south. "We both were worried when we saw Stella's live by accident. Thompson, look at me." Thompson slowly lifted his head to look at my mother. "Your father meant well. A lovely parent will always scold their child when they realise that the child is doing something life-threatening. Okay?"

Thompson nodded, and I did the same. "You both can stand now." I got up and did Thompson. My knees ached because of how long we'd been kneeling on the cold tiled floor. I needed a shower, but I knew I wouldn't be fully settled if I didn't hear from Damian.

"We should get going," Thompson's father announced. "I have some deliveries to make at the store."

My mother nodded before kissing him on the lips and thanking him. Soon, Thompson and his father were out of the house. It was just my mother and me, and it was a bit awkward, considering what had happened earlier.

"I'm sorry, Mum," I said one last time, and I hoped she realised how sorry I was.

"I don't want you to do something like that again," Mother warned, and I nodded as if saying the word 'I promise'.

"His uncle," Mother continued, strolling over to the couch and finding a spot to sit on. "He's been thrown in jail."

"I'm not sure," I answered honestly. "I thought about calling Damian to ask."

Mother nodded. "I pity him, though. But!" My mother pointed at me with her right index finger. "I don't want you to risk your life because of someone again."

"I promise." I decided to voice it out as a way of keeping my word. "And I'm sorry for bringing up the grandma and grandpa discussion. Not everything needs settling, I guess."

Mother frowned deeply at my words. It felt like I had hit yet another deep wound. "Sit," she said, patting the spot next to hers, and I did.

"It's not like I don't want to take you to your grandparents. But every year I show my face to them, they always curse at me."

"You've been visiting them?" I asked, shocked.

"Every year," I gulped. I never knew this piece of information. "They don't want me; they don't want you either. They feel I'm a bad parent and would train you to follow in my footsteps. Sometimes I wonder if they are my parents."

I felt bad for bringing up the topic the other day. I got a hold of my mother's hand and held it firmly. "You are not a bad parent, Mum. You're good, even the best. Grandma and Grandpa do not know the treasure they've thrown away. We have each other, and that's all that matters. I won't bring them up again. I promise."