───※ ·28· ※───

"The principal won't be happy," sighed Mr. Akan as he placed his hands on his temple while rotating his chair left and right.

"What has gotten into these children?" Mrs. Nelson wondered with both hands strapped around her waist. "And why didn't Nsikan say anything right from the beginning?"

"Exactly!" Miss. Atinuke exclaimed. "She came shouting the roof off as if we were gods capable of knowing things hidden from us."

I wanted to tell them it was their job to check on the well-being of students occasionally. If they couldn't, the school guidance counsellor could've. That was her job. But instead, I remained silent while watching the teachers fall into their dilemma.

"Damian," I turned once Mr. Akan called me, "go get me, Queen, Chloe, and Elue."

I nodded slowly. "Okay, sir."

I walked out of the office with an even more clouded mind. I knew it was serious, but how serious could it be that Nsikan's mum had to intervene?

It didn't take much time for me to get to the classroom. I moved to the centre, my eyes moving to the very back seat. "Chloe, Elue, and Queen, Mr. Akan is calling you three."

I noticed Elue as she visibly gulped, and Queen and Chloe had puzzled looks. All three got up and began heading for the classroom door. When I was about to turn, I heard my name being called.

"Damian," I sighed, stopping to look. It was Muller. He was no longer laying his head on his desk and was now sitting upright. Chuks was no longer in the class; probably his had started and he'd gone over to his, while Stella was sitting on my seat beside Thompson.

"Come!" Muller gestured with his hands. I was supposed to go back to Mr. Akan's office with Queen, Chloe, and Elue and not stay in class for some chitchat.

Sighing, I decided to walk over to my seat while hoping Muller wouldn't take much of my time.

"What's going on?" He asked, confused. "Why is Mr. Akan asking for them?"

"Nsikan's issue," I said, without beating around the bush.

"Wow!" Stella exclaimed. "Did you report them?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "Nsikan's mum came herself and demanded they bring her parents, or she's going to sue them and the school."

"Damn," Thompson whispered.

"Look, I've got to go," I said to them straight, and I was about to turn when Stella stood up.

"Where are you going?" Thompson asked, confused for a second.

"With Damian, of course." She shrugged.

"Why?" Muller opened his mouth in a manner that scrunched his face.

"For the gist, isn't it obvious?" Stella said it like it was the most obvious thing on the planet. "Chuks ain't here, and Nsikan ain't here either." She placed her hands on her chest and signed deeply. "I'm their only hope for a detailed gist. If I leave it for Damian to gist what happened, he'll just go straight to the point, and that's so boring. Do you know Nsikan used to call you a robot?"

I spotted a small smile from Thompson, forcing me to roll my eyes. "You're not coming. Thompson, Muller, do not let her come near the office."

With that, I turned and headed out of class. I increased my pace so I could get to Mr. Akan's on time. Once at his door, I knocked and opened it.

Now, Mr. Akan wasn't alone. His officemates were in their seats, probably because they heard the news of the commotion that happened earlier. Aside from his two officemates, there were Mrs. Nelson, Miss. Atinuke, and the guidance counsellor. Queen could be seen in the middle of Chloe and Elue, and all three were currently on their knees with their heads lowered.