───※ ·35· ※───

I stared at Damian with an open mouth. I heard what he'd just said to me, but it was too hard to believe considering he was Damian and could've settled on every other girl that wasn't me.

"You what?" Damian leaned in further and held my cheek softly. I stared at his hand and then at his face. He looked confident, unlike my messy state.

"I like you," he repeated. "I find myself thinking about you more than necessary, and I find myself wanting to get closer to you. I thought of it as strange because of your weird behaviour, but it ended up being your charm."

"When..." I trailed, still not pulling away from his touch. "When did this start? Your feelings, I mean."

"I don't know," Damian chuckled to himself, pulling away. I wish he didn't. "It wasn't love at first sight, but there's something about you."

"I'm just average-" I muttered.

"You're more than average, Nsikan," Damian said, cutting me off sternly. "I knew about my feelings for you and accepted them. You kind of make me feel alive for some reason."

I bit my lower lips as I stared at him. His gaze moved to my lips and then my eyes. "This is so unreal, Damian. Here I thought it was one-sided."

"Well, it was at first." I playfully slapped his upper arm, and that got us laughing.

"You put me at ease, Damian; I won't lie," I said honestly.

"Ditto," he smiled softly, eyes still on me.

"So..." I dragged, leaning towards him. "Are we dating now?"

"That's too forward." I pressed my lips while looking at him.

"I thought you said you would take responsibility for my feelings," I pouted, forcing Damian to laugh heartily.

"I will," he said. "That's why we need to get to know each other more through dates, okay?"

I could do that, so I nodded. Dates were fine for me.

"Let's get back to studying," Damian continued. Could I study now? I wasn't sure I could concentrate after Damian's confession.

───※ ·❆· ※───

The assembly was kind of long. The principal spent most of the time talking about the mock exams, which meant other classes should keep the noise minimal so it wouldn't distract the Ss3 students.

Now everyone was standing in front of the class, and my heart was beating quite fast. Our first exam was English, and the invigilator asked us all to line up in front of the class so she could shuffle us.

"Damian," the invigilator called. Damian moved to sit at the place that was assigned to him. "Nsikan."

I was shocked that my name was called right after Damian. "Sit beside him."

I bit my lower lip and did what the teacher instructed. I moved to the seat Damian was on, which was at the back of the class. Since we were meant to be three, I wondered who'd be sitting with us.

"Hey!" Damian started, and I looked at him.

"Hey," I whispered back to him. Damian had been smiling often. Like at today's assembly, when he was standing with the prefects, he kept his eyes fixed on me and was smiling all through. He looked brighter compared to other days.

"How prepared are you?" He questioned.

"Seventy?" I said to him.

"I won't give you any answers," Damian said playfully, and I bit the inside of my cheeks. I was used to not getting shown answers on tests and exams. I mean, Stella and Omolara were my seat partners and were both good academically, but my grades were the worst.