───※ ·27· ※───

───※ ·DAMIAN· ※───

I wanted to see Nsikan get into her house before asking the driver to zoom off. But the look on her face showed she'd be more satisfied with me going before she got through her gate. Nsikan was a good help today. Yeah, she didn't help me decide on the best products for my mum, but she helped keep me company. With her by my side, I could stop thinking about my uncle, my mother being sick, and the affairs of the hospital. She was like a drug I couldn't do without.

I sat with my back resting comfortably on the leather seat backrest as a small smile tilted the corners of my lips.

"You seem to be in a good mood, sir," Mr. Joel, the driver, said while looking at me through the rearview mirror.

"Is it that obvious?" I said this in a small voice as I watched the scenery go by.

"Very," Mr. Joel responded. "Is it because of your friend?"

A small scoff escaped my mouth before pressing my lips together in thought. "I guess so."

"Ah..." The driver dragged. "That's a good thing, then. We hardly see you smile."

The car fell into silence after that. I'd just acknowledged three recent things. The first was acknowledging Nsikan as a friend; the second was acknowledging that she was the reason behind my smile; and the third, though I haven't acknowledged it out loud, was that I had feelings for her.

The driver finally got to the house, and I came down from the car with the items I had gotten from my mother. It was already getting dark, but I wasn't sure if she was at home or not.

"Welcome, sir." Chisom was the first to greet me. "Let me help you with that, sir."

I let her take the bags from my hand. "It's for Mother. Help take it up in her room."

"Okay, sir." Chisom nodded. 

"Is she back?" I questioned her before she could turn and leave.

"No sir. She said she'll be staying at the hospital and will come back tomorrow." Chisom informed. "She said I should tell you not to worry. She said it's because she has so much documentation to work on." 

I felt uncomfortable that my mother was going to spend her night at the hospital working. She wasn't feeling well enough to be stressing herself.

"Make something for me to eat, please," I said, walking past her and heading towards the stairs.

I'd compared Nsikan to drugs. Like every drug, the effect wears off eventually. Right now, the only thing clouding my mind was my mother.

───※ ·❆· ※───

The next day, before going to school, I waited, hoping I'd meet my mother before leaving the house. But when I realised time wasn't on my side, I decided to call her instead. Hearing her voice kept me at ease and made me not worry much.

The driver drove into the school premises, and I got down with my hands holding the strap of my backpack as I proceeded to head inside.

"Good morning, senior Damian..."

"Good morning, Damian..."

"Damian, good morning..."

"Good morning, senior..."

Everyone in the hallway, lobbies, and even on the staircase kept greeting me as I walked to my class. This wasn't a foreign act; they all do this whenever they see me outside class.

Finally getting to my classroom door, I opened it. It was full considering that I'd delayed again today before leaving the house. My gaze moved to the back of the class out of instinct, but the one person I wanted to see wasn't there. Thinking of the fact that she might be running late, I moved over to my seat.