───※ ·47· ※───

───※ ·NSIKAN· ※───

Damian was ditching school.

It was a week before the West African Examinations Council, yet Damian had refused to be in school for two days straight. We didn't say a thing at first because we knew how dear his mother was to him. We wanted him to be there for her. But then every time we called, he wouldn't pick up, and he also wasn't responding to my texts. It made me worried.

Very worried...

I let out a sigh as I read yet another message I'd sent to him on WhatsApp without a response. The two marks were proof that he'd received the message, but the lack of blue showed he hadn't read it.

"Do you think he's going to come to school today?" I turned to Stella, and then to Chuks. We were at Chuks' class and thought we'd be there until assembly time.

"I don't know." Stella shrugged, though I could tell she was worried. "You heard Muller and Thompson. Whenever they go to his place, he won't be at home. Whenever they go to the hospital to visit his mother, he won't be there either."

It was Wednesday, and the idea of Damian acting this way was concerning. "I'm worried."

"Obviously," Chuks waved. "You have refused to talk to anyone since Monday."

I exhaled, looking at my fingers. "I feel like I'm useless," I said to my friends. "When I was having issues, Damian advised me all through. But during his, I can't help but tell him everything will be alright."

"Those words are enough help; trust me." Stella patted my back.

"Do you know what's even more worrisome?" I questioned her, looking at her. "It's the fact that Waec starts next week. I'm scared he isn't reading or might not write the exams. If he doesn't come to school today, that will make it three days in a row."

"We'll do something if he doesn't come to school today," Chuks reassured me. "His mother is fine. What else is he skipping school for?"

The alarm sounded right after his question, indicating that it was time for assembly. We all stood up and strolled out of Chuks' class, not because we wanted to, but because it was needed.

Stella had me in her arms as I walked between her and Chuks to the assembly ground. Since they've handed over their prefectship position to the Ss2 students, they were allowed to line up with us.

I stood in front of Stella in the Ss3 girls' line. I knew I wouldn't wholeheartedly join them in their singing.

Beside me in the boys' line were Chuks. Muller and Thompson had kept a space close to them, which was a surprise to him. Maybe he thought we were close, but not that close.

"Isn't that—" Stella began but stopped. I followed her outstretched arms to see what she was pointing at. It was Damian strolling over to the boys' line. He didn't look like the cheerful Damian, but his old self. The assembly hadn't started yet, so he was allowed to join without being classified as a latecomer.

"Damian," I gaped, looking at him. It felt like he was avoiding my gaze. Was he guilty?

"What happened to you?" Muller nudged him for answers. "You just went MIA on us, man."

"I was busy," he responded dryly. I didn't like this. I didn't want Damian to go back to his robotic ways. Noticing he was still avoiding my gaze, I decided to stare forward as the new assembly prefect picked up a male and female student who would lead the assembly.

Assembly was over, and Damian was the first to turn to the exit before anyone else. I wanted to talk to him, but with his pace, I wasn't sure I could catch up. I looked at Chuks, and he shook his head before increasing his pace. Within seconds, he'd gotten up with Damian and was currently blocking his path. The rest of us had to hurry before Damian sidestepped him.