───※ ·46· ※───

I let my head get buried in my palms as I dreaded the worst. I tried not to think, hoping that would stop the negative thoughts, but it didn't. The worst kept coming. I was scared, and I had to admit it. My time in the waiting room felt like forever, even though it was only a few minutes. Nsikan was beside me; she happened to be my comfort zone at the moment, but even her presence could barely stop the worst thoughts echoing in my head.

"Mrs. Ekanem," I heard Elue call, and I quickly got up to approach the doctor.

"How's my mother?" I questioned as I stared at the doctor. She pulled off her gloves and gave a small nod.

"Your mother is stable." I let out a relieved sigh I knew I had been holding since we got to the hospital.

"Can I see her?"

"No." The doctor shook her head, and at the same time, Nsikan held my hand. "But I need to ask you a few questions. Please join me in my office."

"Can we come with him?" Nsikan asked immediately.

The doctor didn't respond, as she seemed to be weighing her answer. "Do you trust them?"

I creased my brows. Was it that serious? "Yes."

"You are sure?" She asked again. I looked at Nsikan, then at Elue. I trusted Nsikan, and Elue helped save my mother.

"Yes," I responded, firmly this time.

"The three of you can come with me." The doctor turned and led the way to her office. It didn't take long for us to get in there. She sat behind her table and gestured for us to sit on the visitors' chairs.

"How is my mother?" I asked again.

"I told you, she's fine now." I rested my back with a heavy sigh. I couldn't imagine life without her. "But I need to ask you some questions."

"Anything," I said, leaning forward, with Nsikan mirroring my action.

"I did ask your mother some questions."

"She's awake?" I asked, cutting the woman short.

"No for now, but she was. Now she's having a needed rest." Mrs. Ekanem answered. I nodded as she opened a folder in front of her. "I was asking your mother a few questions about how she was feeling earlier. It turns out your mother happened to get thirsty easily and was suffering from pains, muscle cramps, and sometimes vomiting."

My head hurt; I didn't know it was this bad. "I mean, it's no shock she felt this way based on the result of her test."

"What's wrong with my mother?" I asked, my voice sounding so weak. The last time I'd sounded this way was when... I didn't want to think about it.

"Does your mother eat breakfast with you at home or her workplace?" The doctor asked instead, skirting my earlier question.

"At home with me," I said to her.

"And are you feeling well?" She examined me with my eyes, and I nodded. "What about lunch? Does she eat in the same place every day?"

"She takes food to the hospital she owns because she doesn't trust most of the people there. Aside from that, I guess she eats out in restaurants... I'm not certain. Why?" 

"Is there a place she regularly eats? Have dinner? Or is there something she regularly takes?" I closed my eyes, feeling my frustration boiling.

"Is there a problem, ma?"

"There is," she nodded. "That's why I want you to think. Is there?" 

I didn't need to think. "I don't know about places or dinners, but my mum usually drinks coffee every day at home. She never skips it. Why? Is it a virus? Did she contact something deadly?"