sixty: at last

- A short few vampire years later -

Whistler wasn't home forever. It couldn't be, sooner or later people would start to wonder why Delilah didn't have a wrinkle and why Rosalie wasn't spouting grey hairs.

But for now, it was home and it was all they needed and more.

They'd thrown names into the mix for where to next. The couple quite liked the snow, so Alaska was suggested but Delilah decided it was too close to the Denali's. She wasn't sure they liked her all that much. Currently, the pair were settled on Europe. They weren't sure where yet, Delilah liked the idea of Poland - she'd visited Krakow when she was 16 and fallen in love. Whereas Rosalie liked the idea of Switzerland, it seemed good for them.

They both liked the idea of Germany. However, they had plenty of time to change their mind and stay somewhere closer to the Cullens.

Everything seemed to go wrong for them when Delilah left the continent, so maybe it was a good idea to only be a short plane journey away.

"Okay kids, everyone ready?" When they weren't googling sometimes snowy places to live, Delilah had fallen in love. She seemed to be doing that a lot lately, there must be something in the Canadian air. "Remember, it's okay to fall. I'll be right behind you."

"Me too," Rosalie chimed from her spot next to Delilah, "We won't let you get hurt." The pair shared a smile as they looked over the children's heads.

"We're right here, girls. It's just like riding a bike, but on snow." It wasn't at all, but it was the metaphor.

The four set off down the slope. Rosalie and Delilah keeping close behind Molly and Tricia, so far no falls but with two six year olds you couldn't be too careful.

Plus it would be bad for business.

Soon after Bella had left Delilah decided to get a job. The locals on the slopes had taught her to ski so well she could now do it all by herself, and not to brag but she was kinda good. The centre hired her immediately after she'd enquired with them, she now taught tourists how to safely ski or snowboard. It was fun, she got to speak to so many different people and learn all about their home towns. Delilah had a mile long bucket list of places to visit now.

Unfortunately most sight seeing would have to be done at night.

Surprisingly, Delilah didn't hate her classes with the children. She had to admit, they could be kinda funny. Maybe it was because she wasn't spending all day with them, but she'd warmed to them.... only slightly. Small doses were enough to be content with.

Babies hadn't happened yet for Rosalie and Delilah, not that they ever would in the traditional sense. They'd spoken about adoption countless times, it seemed to be Rosalie's favourite topic the first year they'd moved in together. But ultimately they'd decided the time wasn't quite right for them, they enjoyed spending time together to much to factor another being in.

Not only that, but they'd had a few arguments over the moral side of it. Sure, it would be amazing to give a child a loving home to grow up in. However, was it really fair to bring a child into their world? It brought up too more questions than answers, the main question being would they turn the child or allow it to out grow and out live them?

It didn't seem fair on them or the child.

But that was okay. They weren't upset or angry about that anymore. Children weren't for everyone, but happiness and love could be.

Currently they were toying with the idea of fostering. Delilah hadn't been fostered when her parents died, she'd practically moved into the George house the same day. Therefore she didn't understand the ins and outs so much, she didn't get how hard it could be. They'd spoken to a few different agencies, their name was in the hat if they ever wanted to be picked.

Delilah was ready for that. She knew she couldn't keep the child so there was no way she'd grow too irritated or tired of them, and she loved the idea of giving them a house before they went to their home.

Rosalie wasn't too sure on it though. She wasn't sure she could say goodbye if she'd grown attached. It was something they were talking through and would have forever to figure out.

A step towards their end goal was currently the dog which sat at the bottom of the slope waiting for Delilah to get off shift. Rosalie didn't work on the slopes, she had gotten a job at a local wedding boutique - if there was one thing that would always be true, it was that Rosalie was and will always be in love with love. Hence why the dog was at the slope, Rosalie wasn't working today so she'd decided to visit Delilah on her shift with Maple in tow. Rosalie couldn't get enough of Delilah's time, and Maple couldn't spend too long without either of them.

She was okay at the bottom of the slope though. She had constant belly scratches from those who were drinking and so much snow to lick up.

The pair loved Maple unconditionally - she was their first dog - but they also knew what this was when they signed up. Maple was an older dog, too old to stay in their house for a few months before moving to a new family, which was why she was spending her last few months or years with the couple. Delilah and Rosalie had signed up to foster dogs who were at the end of their life, a warm and loving home before they moved on. It was bittersweet, but so far they'd suffered no heartbreak and only happiness.

They knew the heartbreak would come, but it was a great lesson for them. Just like fostering a child, the dog would move on eventually. This was the most loving kind of preparation if they ever needed it. Plus, when they did decide to move onto Germany, or Switzerland or Poland, they wouldn't be dragging a child with them. They could do so after their final dog had passed.

The couple had decided to start a guest book for their fostering, 'Sandy's Guesthouse' named after Delilah's childhood toy. Obviously Maple's big German Shepard paw was currently the only stamp in there, however they were hopeful there's be many more over the years.

Delilah and Rosalie may not have had the most perfect relationship over the years since they'd given it a go. There were still some points that were less than, but they were okay and that was more than enough.

Delilah would always miss her human life and what could have been. But that was normal, and that was also okay. If she'd somehow stayed human, she wouldn't be here now. Sure, she wouldn't have been to hell and back either. But she'd do that ten times over just to stand next to Rosalie at the end of it all.

Rosalie would sometimes miss living with the Cullens. But those moments were fleeting when she thought about the life she had now. She'd trade all the years she spent with them for this, part of her wished she'd given them up sooner than she did. However, she wouldn't be here now if she did and there was nowhere else she'd rather be. She had that family there if she needed them, but truly all she ever needed was Delilah.

And thank god she was always there.

surprise. i updated this book again.......and for the final time. i'm sorry it's not a longer chapter! it just seemed to fit for them so much and for once i'm happy with it.

if you made it to the end, thanks for sticking with me. pretty sure i was 17 when i started writing this, we were in lockdown and id just fallen into a twilight trap again. this book was here when i had my first proper (horrible) relationship, when i got my first proper job and when i turned 20. i'm 21 in september, and i can't thank you enough. this book was there when i lost both my grandmothers and it helped so much to read the comments of you feeling all the crazy emotions of this book. thanks for reading, laughing, crying, and loving with me xxx

ps i'm just about to press the complete button (sad!) i finished this book because i couldn't leave you guys without an ending, so please do enjoy <33