Separation

When they came home they were exhausted. The doctor gave something to Kel. A calming agent for the body that quickly also put her anguish to sleep. The head. The heart she no longer had.
They put her in bed. Brenda covered her with a blanket and all three of them stayed looking at her. Disarmed. Spoiled.
Brenda made some hot tea.
"There was a man at the pier today," she said suddenly.
Dylan looked at her "what man?"
"A man staring at you"
"What?" Brandon asked.
"It was a moment and then he disappeared, I only noticed him by instinct. He didn't move. He didn't say anything"
"How was he was?"
"The memory is confusing," Brenda replied.
"Perreira," Dylan suddenly whispered, "take Sammy because he wants the money and he wants it now"
Brandon shifted his eyes to him "what the hell are you talking about? The drug trafficker? Is Sammy in the hands of a drug trafficker?"
Brenda bit her lips and Dylan sank into a black hole.
He was so worried about those guys that he had left his side uncovered and Perreira had taken his kid. His son.
"Nothing will happen to them," he had told him, "to them. But Sammy..." Perreira said with evil and crystal eye.
How he could have believed he was safe.
He dropped on the armchair and sank into a desperate cry. Inconsolable.
Brenda took his head in his hands.
"We have to tell the police," Brandon said.
Dylan snapped on his feet like a fury and took him by the shirt lapel "No"
"And what would you like to do? What? Come on, beat me Dylan... go ahead.."
Dylan calmed down. He left his shirt. He went back to sit down.
"Please tell me what happened" said Brandon.
Brandon had himself explained everything. Brenda and Dylan recalled every word, gesture, threat that man had spoken to mind. That story was a river. Decisions were made.
Calls were made in the night.
"We have to go back there," Brandon said.
"Tomorrow morning there will be bedbugs everywhere, we will be supervised, me, Kel, if we are not already."
"I'm coming with you," Brandon said.
"I'm coming too," Brenda added.
"There's no talk about it," Dylan replied
"Yes, instead, I know the places and the people"
"We don't talk about it," Dylan repeated staring at her hard.
Brenda's phone rang. Number Unknown..
Brenda replied and a male voice speaking an uncertain English "we are waiting for our money Mr McKay and all the guys live happy, even little Sammy".
Then he hang up. How did they know Brenda's phone number?
"You have to tell Kel," Brandon said as he stared at the smoke coming up from the cup of tea.
"Why? To make her worry? I tell her, hei Kel don't worry our son is in the hands of an unscrupulous drug trafficker because I have to give him money to buy kids"
"You have to trust her," said Brandon, "you have to give her the opportunity to know"
"What is it for?" Dylan asked.
"Don't drive her crazy," Brandon replied, setting his eyes on D.
Brenda looked at both her brother and Dylan, an impossible side to take.
"Brandon is right" he said, "you have to tell her"
Kel would wake up soon. Reality would crush her as soon as she opened her eyes. Brandon was looking at her. Sitting in the same armchair as when she took her drunk from that bar. He hated those grams of separation from her. Dylan came out for a moment.
"Did you do everything?" Brandon asked him.
"Yes everything," he replied, "Brenda will stay with her."
"Can we go then?"
"Yes."