Betty

Dylan and Kelly perfected their own balance in managing Sammy's menage. They had found a straight line to follow. She went to work, he took care of Sammy, his business. He slept at his father's house when he wanted to. The father slept next to him at Kelly's when the little one wanted it.

Kelly was glad Dylan had decided to stay and not inflict on his son the same undeserved punishment that had cost both of them a lot of heart scars. SHe didn't know how long he would last. When Dylan would start kicking again on the waist. In fact, he realized that Sammy would not have the same childhood that they both had lived. Unlike his father and Jack, Dylan was a wonderful father. He always knew how to invent new things. Games to do. Campsites. Dylan entered people's lives with a tight fit, just as he had entered his years before, and knew how to fill the spaces.

But Kelly knew his gaze and knew that, like her, Dylan was sacrificing something. He was suffering for something.

And she could touch those margins and recognize them. They pretended nothing and told each other another truth. Continuously. Every day.

That connection between them had taken a different form. Family. if he can give up abiti the real love oh his life she can do it too. For sammy's sake. A game of chess with inavable checkers.

Sometimes he came back with Sammy and found her in the garden. Kelly was beautiful, she had always been, but she looked unhappy. Interrupted at some point. A kind of chronic disease. They were better off apart and it was no one's fault. Some people are like that. They fit in badly. They turn off together but still manage to find an interlocking that allows them to move forward parallel.

"Cuch day?"

"No more than usual," she replied, "do you want tea?"

"Why not."

"What did you do?"

"We were at the park, a little around, at training."

"Stay for dinner?"

"Yes, of course."

Kelly gave a half smile. A little lost.

"I would like to go to Ecuador next week if you don't mind. To see a bit of what the situation is like."

"Of course," she replied automatically, "are you not going to London?"

"Kel.." he blew over the cup.

"In my opinion you should" Kelly had planted his eyes on him that Dylan felt.

"I don't want to hold you here."

"You're not holding me back here."

"You suffer, I know you," Kelly replied.

"Are you talking about me or yourself?" He replied harder.

"Of you," he replied. Of me. Of both, she thought.

They were knocking on the door. Sammy went to open before Kel could get up from the chair.

"Mom... it is a lady."

"Hello Mrs. Taylor, I don't know if you remember me."

"Of course Betty."

He led Betty into the garden, where Dylan stood up like a gentleman. They made the necessary presentations and then Dylan slipped away recalled from his son's voice.

"So, Betty.."

"Here," she replied, "I don't want to bother you, but Mr. Walsh gave me this to send before leaving. He said to wait a while, so I'm contravening the orders, as it's only been a few days, but I think it's important and I didn't want to entrust it to the post office. In short .." Betty handed her the package Brandon had handed her over before returning to D.C..

Kelly took it in her hands. SHe imagined the content for a few seconds. Brandon's eyes that had deposited something inside with care. SHe managed to see the side dish. The grinding of the concentration of him.

"Thank you Betty," she replied.

Betty smiled "I wish her good luck Kelly"

"To you too."

Dylan resurrected.

"What happened?"

"A pack of Brandon"

"Don't you want to open it?"

"I'm scared," she laughed.

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

"No," she shook her head, "you can keep Sammy busy. I would like time."

Dylan looked at her. He fooled his tongue.

"Yes boss," he replied.

He went up the stairs. You have all the time you need Kel.