Grace's ring

Andrea had just come out of the shower and was drying her hair. The day had passed pleasantly. It bothered her to admit it, but not having Hannah for a few days allowed her to catch her breath. Adolescence was a difficult age, especially at the beginning. And for her daughter the move to a new city had complicated everything as well as the distance of the father. She missed him, she couldn't deny it; but not having to deal with a constant and sterile controversy for anything 24 hours a day was a good thing. . She had chatted with the girls all day, trying to avoid the thorny argument of Brenda's return, which for Kelly was quite an annoying test. Her contribution to the sand sculpture race had not been 'fundamental'; as it was in her ropes, she had tried to coordinate the work, but had surrendered to Steve's resistance. The idea was his, the project as well and he was not willing to give up the scepter of command. Zuckerman, therefore, had retreated to the most absolute relaxation. Returning home before the others, she had called Hannah and, after admiring the sunset, which from her patio offered a pretty good show, she had taken care of washing herself and sprinkled with rejuvenating cream. She was going through a vain phase and the ongoing liason had helped make it more decisive. It was 9:30 p.m., at this time Dylan and Brenda were already supposed to be in L.A.. She didn't envy Brandon at all, tight in the grip between the brotherly love for Dylan and his sister, and the passionate one for Kelly. He didn't want to take sides, but he was pulled in the middle now by one and now on the other side. He didn't want to agree with anyone, but a position to take seemed inevitable to him. Immersed in these thoughts, she heard the bell. In a bathrobe, he went to the door and found Steve with an ice cream tray and a 32-tooth smile.
"Maddy is with Janet, it's dessert time."
"My favorite moment," Andrea smiled, pulled him in from the lapel and kissed him passionately. Passion that Sanders reciprocated without stopping to smile.
"I had to struggle a lot to not kiss you on the beach," the boy said as he entered.
"And how you squealed when I gave you my advice - the girl replied - maybe a little more than necessary." "Don't be susceptible, I know how to get into the part like a great actor."
Oh yes? - she put the ice cream in the fridge - it didn't seem to me to act; on the contrary, you were very jealous of your work of art. What place did it get to? Last?"
"Almost – Steve looked out – but it's Walsh's fault that he didn't properly apply my directives."
"Yeah."she was laughing "I'm going to wear something"
"I don't think it's necessary, it's a waste of time" he took her from behind, attracting her to himself.
"Steve, I think we need to talk about ours...thing. What are we doing? Are we together? Do we drown loneliness in each other's arms? Is it serious? A game? What do we want?"
"Andrea, I'm having a headache. Is it necessary to ask yourself all these questions? Can't we live this thing, as you call it, spontaneously and without preconceptions or expectations?" Andrea stiffened and took a step back.
"Obviously, no responsibility, no commitment; the absolute comfort."
"Andrea, I didn't say that."
"But that's what you want."
"Why do you want something else?"
She thought about "no" she replied "I don't think so. I'm going to get dressed, wait for me here." And she quickly moved away to the bedroom. Steve snorted and slumped onto the couch. He took the remote control and started zapping without looking for anything in particular.
"I spoke to Brandon – he raised his voice to make her heard – the English couple came back; and the atmosphere was far from relaxed."
"I guess," she replied from the other room. Andrea returned in a shirt and jeans, took the ice cream, two spoons and sat down next to the man.
"I don't want to be in Brandon's shoes, honestly."
"Yeah, Kelly will never sign."
"what do you mean?"
"I mean, do you think her character puts her in the sedan, while fully absolve Dylan; do you think she went as described by Brenda?"
"Honestly? I believe that both had a responsibility for what happened; but so many years have passed, what does it matter? Kelly is setting up a case that doesn't exist. We were all teenagers; she's giving too much weight to everything. You have to relax and have a good laugh."
"How much wisdom, Zuckerman; one thing that excites me a lot" Steve approached the girl.
"Stay away from me,"
"why?"
"Steve, you know what I'm talking about. You have no intention of defining our relationship; you simply feel alone and want to vent your loneliness on my body."
"And do you mind? Isn't that what you do too?"
Andrea smiled and sank her lips on Sanders's. They spent the night on the couch, made love several times, alternating sex with a few snacks. They were this, irresponsible fun. No consequences, no end. They just wanted to settle down. Aware, however, that that period would leave indelible marks on both. But at the time, they seemed not interested in the subject.
"There's one thing you need to know," Steve told her at one point.
"Because I feel I won't like it," Andrea replied.
"sHe'll be here in a few weeks."
"Clare, your ex-girlfriend?"
Steve made a brief nod of his head "own her."
"Oh!"
"It's going to soon be down," Steve hurried to justify himself.
"Steve, we don't have a definition but we have clear rules. No commitment."
"Sometimes you leave me speechless," he replied.
"Steve I got married at 18 and shortly after I had a daughter who, I don't know if you noticed, hates me to death. I always did what others expected me to do. Get good grades. Behaving well. Well.. I'm tired of doing what others want. Is Clare coming? Have fun Steve. If and when you come back maybe I'll be there, maybe not. But I want you to be honest with me and that always, because without honesty we are nothing anymore."
"I don't know what to say."
"Don't say anything," she replied.
In the morning Steve's phone rang hysterical. Janet. "Hallo?"
"Hi Steve, were you sleeping?"
"No, tell me."
"Maddy claims her dad."
Sanders looked at Andrea who was still asleep "Of course, give me half an hour and I'll pick her up; okay, bye."
"Was it Janet?" Andrea squinted, still with her eyes closed;
"Yes, I have to pick up my daughter."
"Steve; I have to be in the hospital in a while. Shall we have dinner together tonight?"
'Of course!' Steve smiled;
"We have to figure out what we want; Hannah will be here in a few days and I don't want to play hide and seek, because i'm almost thirty years old."
Steve was tedented "Yes, you're right; see you tonight." He recovered his clothes and set out to get Maddy back. He understood Andrea, this relationship needed a name.
Peach Pit
"My guys ! You don't make yourself alive for years and now I can't get rid of you!" Nat smiled as he hugged Brenda and shook Brandon and Dylan's hand.
"Yeah, they don't want to leave us alone," Brandon increased the dose.
"Shut up" said his sister laughing after freeing herself from Busicchio's arms.
"God. Today This Place is full and Willy is sick today."
"Nat, let's get comfortable, bring some burgers, we're hungry," Dylan replied, "I'm still your partner!"
"Of course," Nat replied.
"I have no appetite," Brenda said softly...
"What's going on?" Brandon was looking at the menu.
"Nothing again, your sister is having a tantrum."
"Really ? – Brenda looked sarcastically at Dylan - Does my future as a director depend on Kelly and i'm the whimsical?"
"Come on Bren, maybe let's solve we're here for that, right?"
"In part," Dylan hissed, shaking her hand.
"Okay, but please can we keep a more open attitude?" Brandon asked worriedly.
"You're right, sorry. Kelly has too many roles in my life, mother of my fiancé's son, my sister-in-law, my best friend, the protagonist of my musical. Every now and then I lose my orientation and make a few gaffes";
Brandon focused on only one definition.
"Fiancé?"
Brenda smiled and showed the ring "Yes – his face disappeared behind the smile – Dylan asked me to marry him."
'Congratulations!' Brandon was sincerely happy. Surprised but happy. She hugged her sister and then Dylan.
"We should ask you not to say that, for now."
"Bren.."
"I know you don't like to keep secrets, but we ask you please, we have too many things at stake. And we would like to be the ones to say it. To mom and dad, and to others."
"Yeah, I either married her or paid rent in London, I opted for the first hypothesis," Dylan added to break that little tension.
"thank you Dylan," said Brenda Stroking his arm
"When are you getting married?"
"Well, We haven't decided the day yet" Brenda looked suspiciously at Dylan.
"One thing at a time, we are not in a hurry, in the meantime we have decided to get married, now we will decide when. I would like next spring.. Brenda smiled, "then let's see."
"Happy wishes guys!" Nat had observed everything and hugged the couple.
"Oh Nat! Thank you" smiled happily Brenda " but we have to ask you too not to say anything especially to Jim and Cindy"
"Certainly," the friend confirmed as he approached," is right. The ring is identical to the one my father gave Grace."
'Who?" Asked Dylan.
"My mother, Grace Mantovani in Busicchio; my father was supposed to move to the States, he was engaged to my mother; but my grandparents would never give consent without a marriage proposal. So he asked her in marriage and gave her a similar ring to this. They got married and left for the new world. After not much I came into the world. I was probably already in my mother's womb when she was wearing a ring like this. It was a great love."
"What a romantic story" Brenda looked at Dylan and held her lap. SHe was a few days late but hadn't spoken to anyone, especially with Dylan also because a few days might not mean anything. Brenda dreamed. SHe Was Smiling. Without fear.
"About romance; my burgers?" Dylan dissacrments without hesitation.
"They arrive, barbarian," Nat replied with a smile.
"How is Kelly?" Dylan asked Brandon.
"Well," he smiled, "but it won't be easy for her either when you go to talk to her. She really thinks the show causes her difficulties, ruins her reputation."
"things are paid for, Brandon."
The brother appeared irritated "I think you had overcome it."
"Surpassed maybe, forgotten no.; okay, I overcame her, because I had to and didn't demand her scalp. Now I am telling the pain of the time, giving everyone their own responsibility. I don't understand where the problem is."
"Brenda, your point of view is not necessarily objective and shared."
"Ah no?"
"No, not really; everyone has their own reading of the facts. Kelly believes her responsibility is not measured by the one you expose on the show"Brandon watched Dylan chant words but he didn't betray any feelings.
The burgers arrived "Finally! - said McKay - I'm hungry."
"Don't be smart, Casanova, my brother is clearly saying that the responsibility for what happened is only yours."
"I didn't say that - Brandon promptly intervened - in the most absolute way."
"Ah no?"
"No; I just said you're taking all the responsibility on Kelly, while maybe it wasn't quite like that."
"This burger is amazing" Dylan was hiding behind the plate.
"Dylan, you have nothing to say?"
"What do you want me to say? It's been ten years, maybe more; I was a teenager, I've done some stupid things; how long do I still have to pay pawn?"
"He's not all wrong," Brandon intervened.
"Okay, it's just my fault; Kelly doesn't have all the responsibility, Dylan was too young; so it must be my fault, there's no alternative. But then because we're talking about faults, it's a damn show, mine."
"Can we eat? - Dylan intervened - I don't understand what this talk is for. We need to talk to Kelly to sign the release to stage this show in the USA as well; or rather, to make a TV series. I think that's the only thing that matters. At least let's listen to her."
"Great" Brenda gave up.
Brandon looked worried.'s He was afraid that they would not find a solution. It was all complicated, loaded with tension. And now also the news of the wedding.
Arnold's house
Clare had anticipated her arrival in California. Her father's house had been uninhabited for years; she had no big commitments in Greenwich so she had decided to take a flight and do things calmly, without having to alternate between caring for her father's home and preparing for the intervention at the LA conference. She was no longer used to the light of the west coast; her light skin had burned in a few hours and the brightness of the days forced her to wear wide dark glasses. Every now and then she took her cell phone and lingered on Steve's name, undecided whether or not to click on the contact in the address book. Then she dialed the number.
"Hallo?", he
"Hi."
"Claire?" Steve was surprised, Kelly had revealed to him of her arrival but not so imminent.
"Just me."
"What a surprise" Steve didn't know whether to be happy or not.
He felt like a real idiot, he didn't know what to say, Claire's voice sent him into the ball. He blurted a couple of jokes. Someone made her laugh. His feeling towards the girl was still standing and he had noticed it during the trip to Europe; but now he had this "thing" with Andrea, which he had not yet been able to define; and there was his new role as a model father that drained his time; and the newspaper, which he had finally neglected. Too much meat on the fire, too much confusion.
"See you later at the Beach?"
"At the Beach?"
"Of course, as in the old days."
"Yeah ," he replied.
"I didn't want to give you a heart attack when I came," Clare smiled "so I called you"
"I'm glad you did. I'm happy you are back"
"Yeah, me too".
Steve hung up and put his cell phone on the kitchen counter. He stayed like this, in silence.
"Are you all right Steve?" Brandon had woken up and surprised Steve with his eyes in the void.
"Not really Brandon."
Brandon poured himself a cup of coffee.
"What's going on?"
"I have a story with Andrea."
"Ah...we had imagined it," Brandon replied, laying the cup.
"You have?"
"Yes, Kelly and I; Hannah noticed something strange between the two of you and didn't miss the opportunity to say it to get you in trouble; and from there it was pretty simple."
"Oh."
"So what's the problem?"
"Clare is back."
"Do you mean she's already here?"
"sHe just called me. SHe's waiting for me at the beach."
"oh... at the Beach.." Brandon repeated.
Steve appeared agitated "now I have this thing with Andrea."
"Define this to me."
"Walsh don't joke."
"I'm serious. Do you have sex, you fell in love, what is it?"
"It's great sex."
"Oh my God, I feel like you're talking to me about my sister."
"Come on Bran. We started chatting. She of her divorce I of mine. In short, you know how it is. We like to be together but now that's not the problem"
"What is it?"
"Clare is back."
"Yeah, you just told me"
"At the Beach there is also Andrea."
"Eh yes..."
"Eh"
"Okay and so you're afraid of how Andrea will react?"
"Actually a He said to have fun with me. That she was an important person and that's right."
"Did she say that?"
"sHe said it!"
"So what?"
"And then I don't know, it makes me feel guilty anyway, as if i was using her until now."
"And is that so?"
Steve shook his head "of course not. I can't explain it to you."
"Steve, if there's one thing I know about Andrea, it's that she wouldn't have told you what she told you if she didn't really think so."
"Okay" Steve kept his eyes down.
"Talk to her."
"Yes, I will."
Bran gave him a shy smile.
"Are you in love with Andrea?"
"I like her"
"So no; what about Claire?"
"It's complicated."
"There are some complicated things. So yes; be a man and talk to Andrea."
"like It was easy."
"Nothing is easy; but that doesn't mean you don't have to deal with things."
"Will you give me a hand?"
Brandon hugged with his hands "oh no.. Steve, I already have my things, believe me.. this time I don't think I can help you; you have to deal with everything on your own. Clarify what your feelings are and deal with your demons. That this time they have a female face. One thing."
"What?"
"Be gentle. Don't make anyone suffer."
"like it was easy."
"Still? It's not that repeating it several times it becomes."
"Sorry so much, pulizer prize. I don't have your rhetorical skills."
"It's possible; face it, you have no alternative";
"Maybe you're right; I have to figure out how to do it; a nice sea bath will clear my mind";
Steve smiled "see you later at the Beach?"
"Yes if I survive."
"Ah it's the day of the war."
"Eh"
"You're worse than me" Steve laughed, sticking a cookie in his mouth and slipping away.
Brandon followed him with his eyes until he walked out the door.