Chapter 56

He stared at me for a minute before I repeated what I had said, "get out." He didn't turn around and start walking out of my room, instead he started walking forward. I didn't look up at him as he walked forward but instead I looked past his figure.

"Baby..." He sighed when he reached the end of my bed. I felt disgusted looking at him. I didn't want him anywhere near me right now. I had told him to get out twice now and my patience was thinning. It was already enough to have him in the same room as me, but he was pushing it.

"Get the f.uck out of here!" I screeched and threw a pillow at him. He dodged it and then turned back to me. I wasn't ready to listen to his lame ass excuse as to why he stopped me from seeing my parents.

"Let me explain, please," He said and I could see his eyes starting to water. He was desperate to tell me but I wasn't having any of it.

I threw another pillow at him but this time he caught it and threw it on the ground. I looked around to find more things to throw that would actually hurt, but I didn't want to break anything. I didn't want to follow in my parents footsteps. "Throwing things at me isn't going to solve anything, Ava." He sighed when I tossed another pillow at him. I never realized how many pillows I had until now. I only had a few left and needed to use them sparingly.

"It's going to get you out of here sooner," I spat and threw another pillow at him. He leaned forward on the end of the bed and looked down at me.  "Please just leave," I said as tears fell from my eyes. My anger had turned to tears, which was one thing I hated about myself; I couldn't get angry without crying unless I was trying really hard. I wasn't in the mood to fight with him either. I just wanted him to leave so I could get drunk and be by myself. I was so drained from such a long day that I couldn't argue. It took enough energy for me to throw the pillows at him.

"Let me explain, please, baby," He said and moved so that he could sit on the bed. I moved my legs so I wasn't anywhere near him. I stayed silent so he took it as his cue to start speaking. His brown eyes looked at mine and I looked away quickly. He would try to use his smoldering look to get me to give in. "I asked you to be my date to the wedding long before I knew about the date of your parents sentencing. When I did find out, I decided not to tell you to help you. You were finally in such a good place: your concussion was just coming to an end and you hadn't mentioned them in a while. I didn't want you to be stressed out about them or anything else. The last thing you needed was to re-aggravate your concussion from being under a large amount of stress.

"When I found out the date, it happened that the wedding was the same weekend as the sentencing so it was the perfect distraction. I knew that you wouldn't hear about the sentencing because you weren't in contact with any of your classmates. I was worried for your mental health and your overall stability. At the time I thought it was the best decision and I still do think I made the right choice, but I understand where you are coming from. I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you about your parents sentencing but I can't say that I wish I had."

"So you don't regret it?" I turned my head to look at him. His cheeks were wet with tears as he shook his head. I gave him a dirty look before going off. "I'm not going to be able to see my parents until I'm in my damn thirties! Don't you understand?" I sat up and curled up against the headboard.

"Listen to me for a minute, okay?" He said softly and turned around to look at me. "What do you think you would have done if I had told you that your parents' sentencing was on the same day as the wedding?"

"I would have wanted to go to the damn sentencing," I sighed. I didn't understand what the point of this whole thing was.

"And what would have happened if you had watched the sentencing? You would not be able to hug your parent's goodbye one final time or any of that. You would have to sit and stare at them from across the courtroom while a bunch of people from the town stared at you with either pity or digust," He said harshly. He took a deep breath before continuing his point. "When we got into my car after the sentencing, you would have lost it, sweetheart. It doesn't matter how badly your parents treated you or anything else. I know you would have lost it. You would have been so stressed and ashamed that you couldn't go to school. I would have to miss days of work because I was stressed from being worried about you. Your concussion could have possibly re-aggravated and then you would miss even more school in addition to being more susceptible to concussions. Do you see where I'm coming from sweetheart?"