Chapter 28

A few days after he was shot, I got ready faster than usual. It was the day Zayn could come home. I took a quick shower and got dressed in the most normal looking clothes I had worn in the past week. At the hospital I had mainly been wearing sweats and the pajamas that I had slept in before; I really could care less about anyone else.

I got a bag and put some clothes for Zayn in it so that he would have something nice to wear.

The day before, I had cleaned the entire house up so it would nice and spotless when Zayn came home. I didn't want him to stress out about anything. I had also gone to the grocery store and stocked the house up. Everything was going bad and there wasn't much left, so I bought a bunch of food so Zayn wouldn't have to search the house for something.

I made myself a quick breakfast of toast and eggs which I scarfed down. It was the first meal that I had actually made in a few days; I had just been going to drive thru places for breakfast and I had been eating the hospital lunches and sometimes dinners.

I cleaned up my mess from my breakfast and did one final look around the house to make sure everything was clean. When I was sure of the cleanliness, I walked out of the house and got into my car. It was about a half an hour drive, so I would have to drive a little quicker.

I couldn't seem to drive fast enough. Every time there was a stop light or any sort of delay I found myself growing antsy. It seemed like I was stuck behind the slowest person in the world. The one time I need to get somewhere fast also conveniently is the one time where I'm stuck behind some grandma. Although Zayn couldn't actually leave the hospital until later on in the day, I was still psyched that I would be able to help him home and I still wanted to get there as soon as damn possible.

Half an hour later, after passing grandma, I was finally walking through the front doors of the hospital with my bag in hand. I instinctively knew where to find him so it only took me a minute to actually get to his room.

"Ava..." He smiled when he saw me and the beeping of his machine hastened. He must be happy to see me; I would only hope so.

"Are you ready to finally get out of this damn place?" I giggled and sat down on the bed next to him. He reached out and caressed my cheek before answering. His warm hands gave me goosebumps and made my stomach churn with happiness.

"Yes," He sighed and sat up. He reached for me with his left arm and pulled me closer. "You look stunning..."

"Thank you," I blushed as his hand caressed my cheek again. I leaned forward and kissed his lips softly. We hadn't really done much kissing or anything of that nature while we were in the hospital. Although I wanted to, I felt like he was fragile after just getting shot. I knew he really wasn't fragile in my subconscious, but it felt weird to know that he wasn't exactly indestructible.

A few minutes later, a nurse came in with his breakfast and he ate it quickly as I giggled at him. He was looking so much healthier than he had been the first day. His skin was its normal colors and it didn't look like he had lost a lot of blood. When he finished his food, he moved over and I lay next to him.

For the rest of the day we basically did what we had been doing the other days. We talked and watched TV. It was boring but I was with Zayn so that made it so much more fun. We had crappy lunch from the cafeteria upstairs and Zayn kept trying to make it seem all fancy by having me imagine that there were things in the room.

"Close your eyes..." He whispered and I closed them. "Smell that?"

I inhaled and only smelled the smell of a normal hospital, "You mean the smell of antiseptic?" I giggled.

"You must be mistaken, darling. That is the smell of the finest perfume in the world," He promised and I couldn't help but smiled. "And hear that?" All I could hear was the beeping of his monitor and the people outside of the room. I nodded as I waited to see what he would come up with. "That is the sound of violinists and a pianist from the London Symphony Orchestra that I had flown here just for you."