Chapter 23

As I sat in last period the next day I felt like crying. I had never been so abused throughout the entire day. Of course, word of my parents arrest had gotten around and I was being harassed throughout the entire day. Virtually every knew about it. Kids would smirk at me and ask me if I had any drugs. They would whisper about me and look at me like I was below them.

The class dragged on perpetually as I sat through the stares of the kids in my grade. Nicole had been the only person who was nice to me, even though I hadn’t really spoken to her in a while. I had gone through taunting for being sexually promiscuous, but that had never bothered me.

Mark had been following me in the hallways taunting me and trying to get me to hook up with him. He would call attention to me in the hallways and further humiliate me. He was such a pig.

When class ended, I skirted out of the room and tried to walk out without anyone seeing me. “Avaa!” I heard Mark say in a singsong voice after me. I ducked my head down and continued walking but he caught up to me.

“So…now that you don’t have a house. Do you want to live with me?” He smirked. “You’ll have to pay me in sex…of course.”

“F.uck off,” I said and continued walking towards the entrance. I wasn’t some damn prostitute. He could go fuck himself for all I cared.

“You gonna take that, Mark?” One of the goons commented. They had been following him around all day, laughing at his jokes and saying stupid things that most of the time weren’t coherent.

“Don’t be rude, Ava,” Mark said and gripped my hand. “I always like it when you’re mad; you’re a better f.uck then…” I could smell the pot on him. Nasty. He spun me around and I shoved him.

“I said, f.uck off,” I spun around and walked out the front doors. My jaw was grit as I pushed the doors open. My eyes searched the parking lot for the familiar face. I saw Zayn leaning against his car with a smirk on his face.

“I am going to need a refill on drugs soon, I’ll stop by later,” Mark said as he continued following me. I rolled my eyes and continued walking. When Zayn saw that I looked pissed, he started walking forward. His eyebrows were drawn together and his arms were crossed across his chest.

“Is there a problem?” He asked when I reached him. But he wasn’t addressing me, he was addressing Mark.

“Yes, actually. Who the f.uck are you?” Mark said and walked forward to Zayn. Mark was much taller than Zayn, but Zayn was more muscular. Their bodies were so close. It was totally a show of masculinity, but I didn’t care that they were close enough to kiss. I just wanted Mark dead.

“I’m her boyfriend,” Zayn said calmly.

“Oh, so the whore has a boyfriend now?” Mark smirked and looked back at his goons. Zayn lurched forward and Mark was soon lying on the ground clutching his arm. He was doing the stupid face he did before he cried, but he held back his tears.

“Call her a whore one more time and I’ll actually break your arm, got it?” He threatened calmly. Mark stood up with a devilish smile on his face. He was still clutching his arm.

“Well, do you know that her parents are in jail for selling drugs?” Mark smirked.

“I am aware,” He nodded at Mark’s comment. “I also know that you smell strongly of marijuana right now, don’t you?”

“What’s it to you?” Mark scoffed at Zayn’s comment.

“I’m a cop,” Zayn smirked and took out his badge. He held the back in front of Mark’s face and his cocky smile dropped. “It just so happens that smoking marijuana is illegal, not to mention that you presumably smoked on school grounds.” He put his badge back and watched as Mark’s face paled. “I could easily file a report right now on your smoking and I could have her tell me about all of the underage drinking parties you have, now couldn’t I?” Zayn stepped forward and gripped at Mark’s shirt. “You say anything to her or lay another hand on her and you’ll not only have a broken arm, but you’ll be in jail, got it?” Mark nodded quickly and then Zayn let him go.