Chapter 20

It had been four months since I had last seen Zayn.

Four months since we had last fought.

Four months since I regretted yelling at him.

Four months since I last kissed him.

Four months since he told me he was in love with me.

Four months.

And I hadn’t stopped thinking about him since.

* * *

College letters were coming in nearly every day because I had applied to a bunch of schools in Chicago. I got denied by most of the reach schools, but all of the community colleges accepted me which I was glad about because maybe I would have an actually good future.

I was sitting on my bed after school one day painting my toe nails. Since it was nearly spring, I wanted my feet to actually look decent. The winter had been a long and harsh one. We got a few feet of snow every other week which I had to shovel because my dad was either too lazy or too drunk. On the bright side I had gotten a little more definition in my arms.

I had been to a bunch of parties this winter, but I never had the same exuberant feeling or rush of adrenaline. The alcohol never had the same effect on me as it had previously. I had made out with a bunch of guys, but none of them kissed as well as Zayn.

Zayn.

I hadn’t gone a day without thinking about him. Thinking about our last few moments together before I became a psycho bitch and ruined it all.

It.

What even were we? I don’t like the idea of having a boyfriend, it’s too complicated. But I guess that’s what we kind of were.

I greatly underappreciated Zayn for what he had given me. And then I spat in his face and told him I never cared for him. The look of heartbreak on his face would haunt me in my nightmares.

Anyways, I still had two months to decide which college I was going to go to and I had no clue. I hadn’t even toured any of them, but I guess the one with the biggest financial aid package would be the one I would be going to. My parents still mocked me for my grades, which were slowly getting better now.

I finished painting my nails and walked downstairs to see a 6 pack of beer already opened.  I knew it was going to be a rough Friday night, so I walked upstairs and shut the door to my room. I needed to get my homework done in case I had to clean the house up for the rest of the weekend, so I plugged my headphones in, blared the music, and got cracking.

I didn’t have much homework because a two of my teachers were absent and we were given study periods instead. So I basically doodled on my homework and took a long time to try to procrastinate everything.

At 7 I went downstairs to see what was for dinner but I screamed when I saw my parents yelling at each other and tossing beer bottles at each other’s head. I wondered how I hadn’t heard this over my music; it must have been extremely loud.

“Stop!” I begged as I watched my mom hit my dad in the head with a bottle. Green glass shattered and blood oozed from his head. I was surprised when he didn’t seem very shaken by the fact that his wife had just hit him with a beer bottle, instead he came for me. My heart sped up and I backed up against the wall.

“Look, it’s the little slut,” My dad slurred as he walked over to me. Loud thumps echoed in my body as he slumped over. My eyes widened. He nearly fell over but he caught himself. “Still failing school?” He would try to get to my heart and get me upset, but I was stronger now, or at least I hoped.