Chapter 35

Have you ever experienced death? Have you ever been so scared you wanted to die?

***Flashback***

“Ava!” I heard a shrill voice screaming my name. I blinked my eyes open and felt my body grow cold. Half of my body was cold while the other wasn’t.

My head was wet. Was it water or blood? Was I bleeding?

At first I couldn’t see anything but a dim light pointing at a singular tree. “Ava!” I heard another scream and I picked my head up. I was lying on the ground.

My head instantly started pounding and I collapsed back on the ground. “Rob, call 911!” I heard Nicole’s shrill voice yelled and then I became aware.

I pushed through my groggy state and sat up on the ground. “Nicole?” I said and then heard footsteps.

“Ava, Devin crashed the car. He’s passed out,” She said frantically.

“What?” I coughed and my heard started pounding even worse.

“We were in a car crash,” Nicole screamed. “Rob’s calling 911, stay awake.” Nausea ran through my body and I felt like puking, but I kept myself together.

“My heard hurts,” I groaned and fell back on the ground.

“Ava, I need you to stay awake for me,” I felt Nicole’s cold hands on my face but I felt myself slipping away into the darkness. “Ava!” Nicole’s voice started drifting away. “Ava…” I heard her say lightly before I slipped away.

***End Flashback***

Black.

All I could see was black.

Is that what death was like? Just nothingness?

My body, or spirit or whatever it was, felt cold. I felt like I was floating in the air.

I was weightless.

Zayn.

Zayn.

His beautiful face came to mind as I thought about the night. His sparkling brown eyes and his perfect face that I would never see again.

He would be disappointed in me. It was my entire fault.

I was dead because I had made stupid decisions.

I was dead.

But slowly something started to happen.

I no longer felt like I was floating, but I was lying on something.  Was I still lying outside of the car?

My body returned to me and I didn’t feel like a floating mind. My fingers slowly warmed. My hands and feet next. Followed by the rest of my body.

Beep.

What the hell was that?

Beep.

Can that annoying thing just stop?

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Suddenly I seemed to gain my full body back.

I gasped for air and then my eyes fluttered open. Everything was white at first and then things started to come into view. The similar ceilings, the machines, the frigid rooms, and the scratchy sheets made me realize that I was in a hospital room.