Visit of the Shire

Some time later, The Shire...

The countryside was a beautiful place in my eyes, with beautiful greenery all around. Feon enjoyed the local grass when there were breaks. But there was no time for any unnecessary sightseeing, we were in the Shire for important reasons. Not just me, but Thorin too.

I dismounted my horse and Thorin dismounted his pony. We were instructed to look for the sign on the door. The dwarf set off along the groomed path and I followed. We followed steadily until a crossroads appeared before us.

"Which way do we go now?" I wondered.

"How should I know?"

"The choice is yours."

"We go left," he spoke.

We managed to reach a farmhouse with no sign on the door, so there was nothing to do but turn back. We had no choice but to turn back.

"Didn't Gandalf tell you it would be easy to find, did he?" I asked.

"Yes, he did," he replied.

We've come to a second crossroads. Thorin wanted to go left again and I chose the right path. And my choice paid off, I saw a house with a magic sign. There was very loud laughter from inside, which suggested that many had already arrived before us.

I set off after Thorin, who stopped at the next split in the road.

"I found the sign," I informed him, and together we reached the door. The dwarf then knocked hard on the door and the bustle in the house ceased. The grey wizard opened the door for us.

"Gandalf," Thorin spoke, smiling and walking in, "Didn't you say I could find it easily? I have lost my way, twice. If it weren't for the sign on the door, I wouldn't have found you at all," he explained and walked in.

I had to do my best not to bang my head on the low ceiling, as the hobbits were smaller than us elves and even smaller than the dwarves. Even the wizard had the same problem - at least I wasn't alone in that.

"Welcome, Eruwen," he greeted me.

"It's good to see you again, Gandalf," I replied, removing my cloak and putting my weapons away.

The hobbit didn't seem too happy about the wizard carving a mark on the door he had recently painted.

"Bilbo Baggins, I'd like to introduce the last two members of our company. Thorin Oakenshield and Eruwen."

"The pleasure is mine," I spoke.

"Tell me, Mr. Baggins. Have you fought often?" began Thorin's questioning.

"Excuse me?" The hobbit didn't understand where he was going with this.

"Axe or sword? Which weapon do you choose?" Oakenshield asked while he began to walk around the hobbit and look him over.

"I'm good at throwing chestnuts if that's what you want to know, but I don't understand why you care?"

"I thought so. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar," Thorin stated, which amused all the dwarves before they subsequently headed for the dining hall.

Thorin took a seat at the head of the table and I took a seat to his right. To his left sat the wizard.