Negotiations

In the evening, as I discovered, the dwarves were very active. The people of the lake town got into the Mine, and because of this, the dwarves fortified the entrance, which the dragon destroyed.

"These are the white gems that the elven fool so desires," remarked Thorin, showing me a beautiful necklace, "I am sure he will pay well for them," he added, dropping them on the table.

I escorted him to the walls.

"Thranduil," I said after I saw the elven warriors in the town. Their armor reflected the sunlight beautifully.

"Someone is coming," I spoke, as I could hear the sound of horse's hooves, it was the Bard.

He was making a just claim of the people of the city to the treasure of the Mountain, as he had promised. I suspected how the debate would turn out, so I refused to participate. Thorin came down from the wall for a more private meeting with the Bard, while I stealthily made my way to retrieve the jewels and seize them. I hid them in my pouch before I returned - no one had even noticed my departure, the negotiation was not yet over.

Thorin had refused to deliver what he had promised - he preferred war, which didn't surprise me because of his mental state. The fact that 13 dwarves stood against an entire army of elves and villagers never bothered him.

"They are not outnumbered for long," he spoke confidently.

"What does that mean?" Bilbo wondered.

"It means that you should not underestimate the dwarves," replied the King of Erebor, "We have liberated Erebor and now we will defend it!"

Balin was at a loss for words - this was the outcome he had expected.

"Thorin, do you really think this is a reasonable solution?" I asked after a moment.

"Don't you want to fight?" he replied.

Fight my own brother? No, thank you.

"I thought of something else."

"And what is that?"

"My magic. I can conjure gold," I replied, conjuring several gold coins, "You keep your treasure, and the people of Lake Town get theirs."

I got the impression that I should have kept that plan to myself. Thorin's eyes began to glow, it was an eerie glow.

"Let me negotiate terms with them, I can-" I suggested, but the dwarf cut me off.

"Let's discuss something else first," he spoke and began to lead me into the bedroom.

The lovemaking that followed was wild, lusty, and hard. One could describe his relationship with the gold that way.

"You can go to them tonight," he explained, "and I expect you to return. You are one of the finest jewels in my collection."