Waiting

Balin held back tears as he stood for the first time in a long time in the Dwarven kingdom he had long considered his home.

The entrance was low for me, so I had to bend down to enter. Above the entrance was a carved image of the royal throne.

"Here lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's people. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of their homeland," the dwarves read the text that was above the entrance.

"The royal throne," Balin explained to Bilbo and me.

"And what is the thing above it?" The hobbit wondered.

"Arkenstone."

"Arkenstone. What's that?"

"That, master burglar, is why you are here," Thorin spoke.

The dwarves looked at him, which made him nervous. He slowly made his way deeper into the mountain and I decided to accompany him for a while.

"Have you ever been here?" He wondered.

"Only the day the dragon attacked. I wish you luck in your quest."

"This Arkenstone, how do I find him?"

"It's a large clear gem."

"Well, I just thought there'd be more like it."

"There's only one Arkenstone."

He went on alone. I went back to the others who were waiting outside in the fresh air. I sat down on a rock and pulled out a dragon-tooth dagger.

"Is that the dagger from Smaug's tooth?" Balin wondered.

"Yes," I replied, "I fought him when he was smaller in stature."

I told them of my encounters with dragons and famous warriors. They all listened to me, for it made the time pass more quickly.

At one point, the earth shook strongly.

"What was that? An earthquake?" Dori wondered.

"That, my boy," Balin began, "was a dragon."

The Smaug was still in the mountain.

The closer Thorin got to Arcikam and the mighty wealth, the more Balin worried about him. It started when he didn't want to go immediately to help Bilbo when a light of golden color appeared in the halls.

"Are you afraid, Balin?" Oakenshield wondered.

"Yes, I am afraid. I am afraid for you. There is a sickness hovering over that treasure, it has driven your grandfather mad."

"I am not my grandfather."

"This is not you. The Thorin I know would not hesitate to go to-"

"I will not jeopardize this journey for the life of a burglar," he spoke, surprising everyone.

"Bilbo, his name is Bilbo," Balin corrected him.

I didn't like it.

"If you won't do it, Thorin, I'll do it myself," I said.

"You're not going anywhere."

"Watch me, Thorin," I responded and took off.

Thorin overtook me and headed deeper into the mountain.