Meeting in Rivendell

There was a need to respond to the threats of Mordor, and as representatives of humans, elves, and dwarves were present in the Rivendell, it was decided that a secret council would be held, led by Elrond.

"Eruwen," Gloin spoke up when he saw me.

"My dear Glóin, how are you?" I asked, hugging him, "Gimli," I greeted his son.

When I visited Erebor, I had the opportunity to meet his son, who was a carbon copy of his father.

The elves had the most representation. My brother appeared, and my nephew did as well. Thranduil didn't want to come at first, but eventually decided to go.

 "I brought you wine," he spoke, placing several bottles in my hands, which I placed in my chambers.

After a long time, people could see us together. The last time was sixty years ago at Erebor. Legolas was off on his own adventures and Thranduil was in charge of his kingdom.

Also in attendance were the heroic Glorfindel, Erestor - counselor, and chieftain of the House of Elrond, and Galdor - elf of the Grey Havens.

Representing the humans were Boromir, son of the Steward of Gondor, and Aragorn, the descendant of Isildur and one of the last of the noble Dúnedain.

Present were Bilbo, his nephew Frodo, and of course Gandalf.

I suspected that no one would bring much good news, so I had some of that wine before the council meeting.

They began to talk about world events, especially in the South.

Gloin also took the floor. Sauron had sent a messenger to Erebor and was interested in their friendship. He wanted to know about the hobbits, and where they were hiding, which Thorin would not tell him. The dwarves feared what would come, as the messenger had also appeared in the Dale, and King Bain refused to join his side.

The dwarves were also worried about Moria, where Balin, Ori, and Óin had gone with other dwarves. They received regular messages from them before their communication died down. In Erebor, I was asked to go and find out what had happened there, but it was the place where the dwarves had managed to awaken Balrog, the demon of terror that was hiding in the mountains. I dared not venture there myself. Who knows what lurked in the shadows?

Boromir has learned the true story of the Battle of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, that the ring was taken by Isildur, who chose to ignore our advice to destroy it and keep it.

Here, past and present, legend and legend and reality intertwined.

A very uncomfortable topic about my father came up with Galdor's inquiry as to why Saruman, an expert on Middle-earth and also on rings, was not sitting among us. 

"And what assurance do we have that Saruman is not using his daughter for his own purposes?" Boromir questioned.

Glorfindel and my brother held me tight as I was not going to suffer such insults. I never succumbed to his power, but worse was the question of my winged horse. Would my father be able to use him as a scout?