Childhood... Am I right?

Written by: Athena Guarda

-----5:50 pm---- Desdemona Inn----
(Orchestra Pit)

- The four are sitting on their seats while Colby and the ensemble are tuning their instruments. Augustus signalled come to him.

*Colby: What is it, father?

*Augustus: Are you sure you want to do this? I know it's late to back out, but are you sure?

*Colby: I have practice incessantly, I can do this.

*Augustus: Okay, if you fail; you have to practice continuously.

*Colby: Just like last time...
__________________

- Catherine and the others are watching with the audience. Francis, being on Catherine's right, asks something.

*Catherine: Francis, do you know what piece Colby is playing.

*Francis: You're asking because you can't wait to share the answer and really want to tell what piece is Colby going to play— fine, tell me.

*Catherine whispers in Francis' ears*

"Winter by Vivaldi!"

*Francis: Once again, I have no idea. I studied medicine, not music.

*Catherine: It's starting in 10 minutes.

*Francis: Okay then.
_________________

- 10 minutes have passed, and it is starting... Colby feels nervous and he gulps. When he played, his first note was a bit flat which made him more nervous resulting into a shaky bow for a few seconds. Catherine noticed this and started feeling nervous even if she wasn't the one playing...

*Catherine: It was a bit flat, but the rest of the intonation sound fine.

*Francis: What are you? A critic?

*Catherine: If I did CPR the wrong way, wouldn't you correct me?

*Francis: Yes but—

*Albert: SHHH! I'm listening here!

*Stephen: Stay quiet, I want to hear it.

*Catherine (whispers): This part means "To run, stamping one's feet at each moment" in the Allegro non Molto.

*Francis (whispers): Oh, wait... Really?

*Catherine: I'm not sure, I might be wrong. It's been a few years since I graduated from music university.

- The further Colby plays the piece, the more comfortable he gets. For some reason his father looks angry, did Colby or one of the musicians did something wrong?

- (7:00 pm) After the whole performance when everyone was at their rooms, (9-10:00 pm) Catherine saw Augustus and Colby at the library when she was passing by to get a glass of water. It sounds like he is lecturing Colby while Jane was also there but just watching them with a face of regret.

*Augustus: Your first note was flat, your dynamics is not loud enough in the 1st movement, your bowing was shaking in the 2nd movement as well! A lot of people heard it, how am I supposed to be okay with it!?

*Colby: I'll just do what you asked father, I'll practice my violin starting tomorrow any time you mention.

*Jane: But, remember to take rests, your health is more important...

*Colby: Yes, mother.

*Augustus: You'll not leave the house except for school, I did not raise you to be a disappointment.

*Colby: Father! How can I play with my friends?!

*Jane: I think that was a little too harsh... Be easy with words, love! You might hurt our son.

*Augustus: Don't look away from me! I am your father, you listen to me.

*Colby: But you're just compelling me to practice. I know I should practice but give me freedom every once in a while!!

*Jane: Please be a tad quiet, this is a library, we might wake the guests—

*Augustus: Why are you talking back to me? That's not how you respect your father, you Earth-vexing child!

- Colby startes to tear up and smiled:
-    "Wow, what kind of father says     that to his child?"

-  And then we ran out of the library through another door.

-   And then Catherine was about to speak but someone covered her mouth before even producing a sound. It was Stephen, he dragged her to the right, away from the library. They were whispering to avoid noise;

*Stephen: Leave them be. That's normal for some families.

*Catherine: But the child is getting hurt!

*Stephen: So? When I was—

*Catherine: I don't care when you were a child!? I know you've been through things, I did as well, Francis did, Albert did, even Louis did! Not everything has to be compared with your past!

*Stephen: I know that. But, let me continue!

*Catherine: Okay, fine.

*Stephen: When I was a child, I comfort myself... I don't want that to happen to Colby, he's just 10... I want him to be happy unlike when I was 10... Being locked in a white room isn't as fun as it was.

*Catherine: I never knew you actually cared about things.

*Stephen: I care about things more than a lot of things you can mention.

*Catherine: We'll leave in 3 days, right?

*Stephen: Yes, and—

- Stephen stopped in shock while looking to his left.

*Catherine: What?

Then Catherine looked to the direction where Stephen was looking. It was Francis, what is he doing in the time of 10 pm?