Chapter One: Surprises

"There are many types of monsters that scare me: Monsters who cause trouble without showing themselves, monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood... and then, monsters who tell nothing but lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance: They are much more cunning than others. They pose as humans even though they have no understanding of the human heart; they eat even though they've never experienced hunger; they study even though they have no interest in academics; they seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such monsters, I would likely be eaten by them... because in truth, I am that monster."

L Lawliet

—---------------------------

Tempo High School

  The bell had rung and the students of Tempo High were making their way to the cafeteria where they could just relax and talk to their friends. Tempo High is a school well known for their talented students. And one of the students, Ren, a 2nd year, had made it to the cafeteria and well, let's just say there were more than needed. Ren had long green hair, shaped into a V bending to the right side between his eyes. His left eye is cyan while his right is dark blue. "Ah, Ren, over here!" A cheerful voice called him and Ren looked over to where the sound had originated from. It was Rośe, she called out to Ren, waving at him, accompanying her was Kokori. They were waiting for Ren to get to the cafeteria and Ren had approached the two. "Well, since we're here, let's get going" Rośe said, getting the two to follow her. The three sat down at an empty table. It was all awkward silence for a while before Ren initiated a conversation. "What'd you two think of Nelivia's visit?" The detective had visited the school of talents to show them the work of being a detective. It was interesting for Ren and Kokori, and it was fun for Rośe. "I really want to be like Nelivia!" Rośe responded cheerfully, she wanted to be a detective for such a long time... especially after that. "What about you Kokori?" Ren asked, "Yeah, it was.." Kokori followed up after Rośe, wanting the conversation to end so she could just chill. Ren knew what Nelivia showed and taught them was useful information, information he knew the others could use.

—---------------------------

  The bell rang once more, the day was coming to a close and students were making their way out of the doors. Ren and Kokori were packing up their stuff when they noticed a sleeping Ryo, "Wait, was he asleep for the entire day?" Rośe asked when she entered the classroom, "Oh.. guess he was. C'mon Ryo, wake up." Ren slightly nudged Ryo, an attempt to wake him up. Ren nudged Ryo more, getting a bit more aggressive until Ryo had woken up. "What is it.." Ryo lifted his head from the desk. His burnt orange eyes looked up at the three. He rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hands as he had gotten up. "Alright.. Imma head out." Ryo turned from them and walked out the door, followed by Ren, Kokori and Rośe. "Is he usually like this Ren?" Rośe asked him, considering Ren and Ryo knew each other for the longest. "Not always, but, people change." Ren answered, it was very simple but an answer nonetheless. Kokori was silently observing how Ryo acted, slowly piecing certain pieces of him and another person together.

—---------------------------

Ryo's Apartment, 8:54pm

  "Okay, so, there's some assassination victims around our city. And you're participating as a detective?" Ren asks Ryo, getting what Ryo had told them. "Why're you telling us burnt eyes?" Kokori was taking some ice cream out of Ryo's freezer with a spoon in her mouth. "Well, since you're helping out, it's fine." Rośe told Ryo, who wasn't paying attention to what the others were saying. "Just some more steps and I find them..." Ryo mumbled to himself, which caught the others' attention. "What was that, burnt eyes?" Kokori sat down on the bed, feeding herself some ice cream, to which she took a spoonful and fed Rośe some ice cream. >You still aren't letting it go.. Will you.. Well neither will I.< Ren thought to himself, understanding the entire process of what Ryo wants to happen.