Chapter 30 - Clockwork

Teasing Alcina all day has been the highlight.

She looks so adorable, especially when she sits in her favorite chair, that is well over the size for her height now.

Currently, she sits at her large vanity, staring in the mirror, in deep thought.

As she does this, you are putting the babies to sleep, them having a long day of playing and learning what life is.

"Shh, no, it's bedtime, honey." You spoke softly to Daniela, who was clearly disagreeing with the thought of sleep as she would not lay down. 

You chuckled and picked her up, rubbing her back softly and bouncing her, hoping this would lull her to sleep as it normally does.

Out of all the babies? She is the hardest to get to sleep. She fights it, causing her to cry when she is tired.

Softly whining in your shoulder, soft cries here and there, she relaxes as you kiss the side of her head, whispering comforting words to help her drift off.

And within no time at all, she had fallen asleep, letting you lay her down and tuck her in for the night before you kiss the triplets heads and walk out, a maid watching over them now.

Upon entering your sleeping quarters, you noticed your...fiancée in deep thought, a soft frown playing at her lips.

"Alcina?" You asked softly, walking to her and wrapping your arms around her gently...and easily.

Sighing, you took in her scent, your head on her shoulder as you looked at her reflection.

"You should be getting some rest, Lillian. I am not tired." She spoke softly, you seeing that she is glancing over at you.

"Why don't we have a maid bring you some tea?" You asked softly, rubbing her sides gently.

"I do not wish to drink tea at the moment. Rest, Lillian." She spoke sternly but weakly at the same time. Faltering in her words. 

She had been very powerful and...tall...for years. You are sure this is very upsetting for her to come to terms with. 

"I won't be able to sleep without you." You say it softly, kissing the side of her head. "At least lay with me."

Hesitantly and reluctantly, she stood and walked over to the large bed, her new white dress still looking beautiful on her.

Same style dress and the maid even made her the same style hat. It's adorable to see the size comparison.

As she lay down, she laid in her dress, which caught you off guard. She typically lays down for the night in lingerie or lace.

"Are you not going to remove your clothing?" You asked, but blushed at how it had sounded.

"No. Come now." She motioned for you to lay next to her, you slowly doing so, facing her once you got comfortable.

You smiled at her but she didn't return this. She just looked away.

"You are very beautiful." You smiled, smiling wider as you noticed her blush.

You saw a faint smile, even if it was for a split moment.

"Rest, Lillian." She repeated as you sighed.

"Alcina, what's wrong?" You smiled weakly, softly reaching to caress her cheek but she jerked away.

You knew what was wrong.

"Nothing! Now, please, Lillian, go to sleep!" She said a bit harshly.

You frowned softly and pulled your hand back to yourself, her staring across the room now.

"I know you are upset." You spoke softly as she immediately glared at you.

"Enough." She growled.

"It's not anything to be upset about, it's-" She cut you off before you could even continue this time.

"I said enough, Lillian! Why won't you just rest!?" She snapped, now positioning herself on her elbow as she lay on her side. 

"Alcina, it's perfectly okay. You look beautiful. You are still so strong. And-"

"Dammit, I said enough!" She yelled now, motioning you away with a swipe of her arm as she sat up, looking away from you.

You frowned.

Seeing her cheeks get red and her eyes burn with the verge of tears on them broke your heart.

Her fists were clinched as she seemed to be focused on them, defeated, a deep frown on her lips.

You didn't know exactly what to say to calm her spirits and thoughts. Hell, you didn't know what she was thinking.

You only had minor clues.

It reminded you of the very first time she spoke to you about personal matters.

That day at the fireplace. Her anger, her sadness, and your hesitant comments.

Well, you guess that's all there is to say.

"My Lady...?" You asked, blushing as she glared immediately at the name coming from you.

"What." She snapped sternly

"I believe you have every right to be furious." You said, sitting up and looking at her as her eyebrows furrowed.

The silence was unbearable, just like that night before she finally spoke.

"Why are you calling me that?" She glared still. "I am anything but. Look at me."

You smiled weakly as she sniffled a bit, wiping her eyes gently with the back of her hand.

"Because you will always be my Lady" You smiled bashfully, feeling embarrassed but relieved as she let out a laugh.

You loved that laugh. 

"You foolish girl. You say the silliest of things." She smirked, still wiping her eyes.

"I mean it, you know?" You laugh softly, slowly grabbing her hand.

The fireplace crackled softly, her silence still as loud as it could be, the chill in the room's temperature seeming permanent, and she spoke once more.

"I am tired. Let us rest."

Frowning, she avoided your eyes as you caressed your thumb over her hand,you frowning softly as well.

Getting a small bit of courage in you, you reached over and cupped her cheek in your hand, gently making her face you as you softly connected your lips with hers.

There was hesitation in her kiss, an unsure pause, although, you soon found out why.

As her lips moved with yours, you could hear her sniffling at times, along with feeling wet droplets fall from her cheeks and onto your hands.

Had she truly ever cried in front of you?

You remember the memory of her holding Bela. She was crying then, although...that was in your memory, you don't remember actually living it.

The kiss was soft and gentle.

As was the woman who sat next to you.

So much so that when the kiss had ended, she engulfed herself in your arms, her nails in your back as her cries were muffled in your shirt.

And just like clockwork

For once, you feel as if you've seen a bit more of Lady's personality.

And instead of fear, it strikes you with sadness. 

Somehow, sadness feels worse.