Chapter 37 - Definitely

Wind caused tree branches to tap on the windows of the dining room.

Despite the warmth provided by the indoors, along with the clinking of silverware,

Despite no threat seeming in sight nor mind,

You sat on edge.

Your daughters ate happily, making noises with their plates and bottles... they had grown so quickly, like Miranda said they would.

Looking across the table, you saw a beautiful woman sipping on wine as she watched out the window, legs crossed, arm in her lap.

She, too, was on edge.

"Momma," Cassandra smiled at Alcina. You often forget she can talk now... you've just been so busy and! ...And...

You've just been so worried.

Had you really been putting all of this... before your daughters...?

You feel as if you barely know them... but you have to help Alcina with this.

...By staying home.

You've been home most days, if not all days.

You truly couldn't spare a moment with your daughters? No. You've been selfish.

You lock yourself away in the library to read anything that would give you any information of...this.

Whatever this threat is.

... You're not a bad mother for wanting them safe. Enough scolding yourself.

You do spend time with them... just not as much as you wish you truly could.

...Once this is all over? You can spend all the time in the world with them.

You smiled at Cassandra, her still trying to get Alcina's attention.

"Alcina?" You smiled, the gorgeous woman glancing over at you.

She seemed to notice as she sat her wine down.

"Cassandra, Honey, I am your mother. We are proper. Be a proper young lady." She explained as you laughed softly.

"She's a baby. She's not going to say Mother." You smirked.

"Well, we start them early." She smirked at you playfully before looking at Cassandra.

Her smirk faltered before she gazed back through the window. And the next words out of her mouth broke your heart.

"I should be grateful she even knows I'm her mother. Heavens know I'm never around."

... She felt guilty, too.

"... But they still call you their mom." You smiled. "That means something. You are around as much as you can. They love you and know you are their mother."

She looked at you, considering you for a second before smiling softly.

"I suppose you are right. I know this isn't easy on you either, although our family is strong." She smirked.

You nodded, now feeling the warmth in the room finally.

After you put the babies to rest and you and Alcina lay in the bed, you curled up against her chest, thinking.

You wondered how stress your lover was. If she was scared at that.

But your mind quickly snapped that thought away as Alcina grabbed your chin gently and kissed you.

This was sudden.

...This was sweet.

You lay there, kissing back before gently placing your hand on her face, unaware of the tears that fell down your cheeks.