VIII

His feeling—he doesn't like it.

[AYHAN'S POV]

It was uncharacteristic of him to scream and summon Raon as if there was no tomorrow. It was uncharacteristic of him to panic, given the circumstances and lifestyle he had led for the past few years.

He despises it. The sight of blood, the sight of someone falling in front of him, the fear he felt when he thought he was going to lose someone else.

"Resurgence of feelings," Choi Han observed at the time.

He looked at Choi Han, who was standing calmly beside him.

"It is painful, is not it?"

He remained deafeningly silent.

"That is how we felt whenever Cale-nim coughed blood and fell to the ground back then."

"I do not like it."

"No one likes it," Choi Han responded. "It is terrifying to think you might never see someone again."

He watched as countless magicians and wizards attempted to stop his sister's mana that even a dragon could not stop. Raon tried to use his mana on him, but it had no effect. The imperial family's distinct mana made it clear that no otherworldly creature could influence the other.

That is what Raon concluded after.

The mana of the first world was not the same as the mana of this world.

That's why when Raon first tried to control the divine beast's mana, it didn't actually attach to it.

He remained seated outside the emperor's room, waiting for Claude to exit. The man looked at him, got down on his knees, and took his hand in his.

"Are you all right?"

Something has changed.

He can tell because his tone and demeanor have completely changed.

He shook his head and was deafeningly silent. Claude looked at him as if he was about to cry, but instead, the man drew him into his arm.

"It will be fine."

Why is he behaving like a true father?

He just does not understand this man who would threaten them at one point, be kind to them at another, and then act completely differently.

He just doesn't understand this man at all.

A week passed quickly, but Athy has yet to wake up. Raon had been helping Claude keep Athy's mana under control, but it was not enough to wake her up. He desperately reached out to some wizards and even brought some into the dungeons for lying to him.

"Hah! Why is the emperor fussing over his illegitimate?"

He heard at one point when he decided to attend the conference to ask some healers from the nobles.

"He must've been bewitched."

"Yeah, why would he go so far for an illegitimate? He still has a son. I heard the princess is not as good as the prince. She's just a spare."

His blood boiled.

Felix and Choi Han, who had accompanied him, took a close look at him.

"Your Highne—"

He raised his hand to shut Felix up. Choi Han also patted his shoulder and shook his head. Soon, he entered the hall. He has the royal seal and a small crown on his head. Claude gave him permission to do as he pleases right now. The nobles all looked down at them.