XXXVI

"He told you that?" Yhan calmly asked with his brow tilting up.

Athanasia nodded. Everyone remained silent, especially Alver and Ron.

She knew it could get more dangerous considering everything Yhan told her when they were still children.

Anyone would think twice about that information. It's natural to hesitate.

But—

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Why is he laughing?

Not only Yhan, but everyone around him, began laughing, chuckling, or smiling as if they had heard the most wonderful thing in the world.

"Um..."

"What is he, an idiot?" Raon asks, laughing.

Alver agreed: "Offering something on a golden plate."

"Yhan?"

"Oh, sorry, sister. It is just that the enemy offered what I was looking for on a golden and large platter." Yhan sat down and patted Athanasia's cheeks. "Sis. Things may get hectic now."

"Are you going to corner him?"

"I bet Duke Alpheus knew who the black-haired man was," Yhan said. His conclusion was never incorrect in the first place. Jenette was their full blood relative. She was the former Emperor's daughter. So...

"Why did Duke Alpheus care for Jenette?"

Athanasia realized it was not because he was kind. The Duke of Alpheus is a royalist. "He is attempting to establish the legitimate heir to the throne."

"But the rightful heir to the throne was a mediocre and ordinary girl except for her Blue Jewelled eyes," Yhan explained. "Either she became their puppet or usurped the throne when an heir bearing Imperial Family blood was born."

Yhan looked at her and said, "You knew right? That the Lovely Prince Jenette had a happy ending with Ezekiel Alpheus. But..."

"That burning future," Athy muttered.

"There is always a cost for everything," Yhan murmured. "Everything is about balance."

Yhan reached for the god of death's book and took a piece of the branch of the world tree.

"I am someone who breaks the balance, sister."

Athy smiled and nodded her head. All she needs to worry about is how to take control of the inner court and the Senate while Yhan transfers all rights to her.

"Let's leave it to chance. Taking the upper hand when the enemy has yet to show his cards would detrimental for us." Yhan said, "but Sis."

"Hm?"

"Are you in for a shitshow with me?"

Athanasia smiled willfully and said, "Of course. Any time, little brother."

[AYHAN'S POV]

Athanasia was reluctant to see Claude. They were standing outside the door to his room. Her hands were icy cold, and her complexion was pale.

"Yhannie."

He locked his gaze on her and tightly gripped her hand.

"What if Dad still does not accept us?"

Yhan, who grew up without family or acceptance, said, "Live."

Athanasia took a slow look at him.

"Living is the best way to find purpose in our lives."