Conversation

Abhimanyu is restless after his fight with Akshara. He always has this urge to protect his mother, to be there for her. He knew his mother is weak and she needs support which she can't get from her husband or anyone else in the family, so he became her shield- her protector. But was he wrong? To be with her did he forgo all of his relationships?

He still remembers when he heard his mother crying at night. He clearly remembered the shouting voice of his father. His parents were never together, and when they were all they did was fight. His mother gave up her dreams, her lifestyle just for his father. His parents were never an ideal couple just like his friend's parents were. He always blames his father for Manjari's weak state, her emotional turmoil, and her health issues. He remembered his father never attended any of his school meetings, his graduation ceremony at school and medical college. His father always treated him like a robot and never cared about his emotions. But was he wrong in judging him? He never talks to his father even once and asked him why he behaved like that. Why he is so distant from his family? Why? But Akshara was right he needs to talk to him to know his perspective too. 

He calls his father without looking at the time. His father answers the phone on the 5th ring. "Abhimanyu, you are calling me this late. Is everything alright, son?", Harsh asked his son. 

"Can I talk to you, I need to ask you something. Are you free right now?", Abhi asked hesitantly. He never calls his father ever and engages in a conversation with him.

"Of course, you can Abhimanyu. I am always free to talk to you", Harsh replied ecstatically. His son wanted to talk to him, he is on cloud 9 right now.

"Can I Facetime you?" Abhi asked hesitantly. When answered in affirmative Abhi Facetimed him. Today he will talk to his father and get all the answers from him. He will know his perspective on things also.

"So, tell me son what do you want to talk about? Is it related to my upcoming nuptials?" asked Harsh.

"Yes, it is. But first I want to know why are you not like this with my mother. After your divorce I saw a new Harsh, you are laughing with the kids, spending time with the family, fulfil all of Akshara's unnecessary demands. I know you are in a WhatsApp group with all the Birla children where you guys share memes, jokes, and funny threads on a regular basis. You are more chilled out in hospital too. Now, you don't give any priority to the publicity of the hospital, your focus is not on treating VIP patients, but on the patients who genuinely need our care. What changed in you? Why I am seeing two different people? one before divorce is completely different to the person after divorce. Please answer me." Abhi puts forward all of his turmoil in front of his father. He needs answers to his questions and only Harsh can provide him these answers.

Harsh sighed. "Abhimanyu I will tell you a story today. Our father had two sons. His elder son is intelligent, obedient and just like the son his father wants. The son who will follow all their dreams, will move in his footsteps and be the best doctor. But his other son was a rebel. He did not want to be a doctor. He wants to be a businessman. He wants to conquer the world, but he did not want to be a doctor. Yes, Abhimanyu I wanted to be a businessman. But my father never supported me." Abhimanyu was shocked he did not know any of this.

"Abhimanyu, my father believes that business is not a noble profession. He had certain beliefs and myths regarding the business community. I tried to persuade him to let me do what I like but he never agreed. I tried to convince my mother but she refused to against her husband. I was forced to do what I never wanted to do. Since my heart was never in the medical field, I failed the entrance exam not once but thrice. Father continues to taunt me and mock me but I can't do anything. You know Abhimanyu during that time we respect our parents so much that we can never think of speaking loud in front of them, let alone going against them. My father wants me to become like bhai sahab, so continues to push me in that field. Then Bhai Sahab got married, bhabhi is also a doctor. So my father got another opportunity to taunt me. Bhabhi comes from a wealthy family, so her father put a condition in front of my father." Harsh takes a long sigh.