Roohdariyan-vii

"I am sorry, I wish I had some great news, but I don't. It was a malignant tumour and unfortunately, the tumour has spread to the uterus. We had to perform a complete hysterectomy and remove quite a bit of the colon. I took more than I planned but I feel confident that I got it all. She will need Chemotherapy and Radiation but should make a full recovery. I know this is a blow to you all, but again, I feel we got it all", said the doctor.

The word Cancer led the whole family to a tailspin. Abhimanyu never felt like this before. He felt like he was in a tunnel. Abhi's heart is racing at a jet speed. He never felt so helpless in life before.  

Arohi, usually so stoic was inconsolable, Neil was trying to console his wife. Right now they need to be strong for Akshara. "Meri bachi. Hey, Bhagwan apne aisa kyun kiya. Humari bachi ne apka kya bigada tha. Usne aaj tak kabhi kisi ke sath bura nhi kiya phir uske sath aisa kyu ho rha hai", wailed Manjari loudly. Mahima tries to stop her but she is repeating these words again and again.

Suddenly Abhimanyu gets up. It is not the time to cry now. His wife needs him and he cannot waste time crying about the cancer. They need to plan for the further steps to be taken for the well-being of Akshara.

"Dr Mehta in your opinion what are Akshu's chances?  Please tell us what we need to do?" asked Abhi.

"Well the next few months will be very difficult for her and we won't know how she is responding until she completes the treatment. As I said I went way beyond her margins. I feel we go at this aggressively and her chances of survival are excellent. Abhimanyu, I know it's a terrible thing that someone as young and vibrant as Akshara has cancer but with your support and love she will get through this. She is a strong girl. In the operation room, she fought like a warrior and didn't sink even for a second. I am sure she will respond to this treatment perfectly too", the doctor said to the family.

"My Akshu will survive this na", asked Abhimanyu hopefully.

"Yes, Abhimanyu she will survive this", replied the doctor without any hesitation. Abhimanyu hugged the doctor to thank him for saving the life of his Akshu. No correction, saving his life.

"Maa, Arohi aap dono kyu ro rhe ho? Apne suna nhi doctor ne kya kha. The chances of Akshara's survival are excellent. I know ane wala time thoda tough hoga, but my Akshu will be alright ma", said Abhi. 

"Yes ma, bhai bikul sahi keh rhe hai. Aur aap ro mat. Jab bhabhi ne give up nhi kiya toh hum log kyu kr rhe hai. Right now, we have to look for positives only", said Neil. He is trying to make his family understand to look at the positive side, not the negative one. Manjari nodded her head and hugged her son. 

Abhi is sitting beside Akshara's bed waiting for her to wake up. He has his head on his arms which are on the bed. His eyes were closed, he was too exhausted. He hasn't slept properly for days now.

Abhi feels her hands rubbing his hair and he jumps up. "Akshu", whispers Abhi. The pain in his voice floors Akshu. She took his hand and squeezed it tightly like she was trying to tell him everything would be alright.

"I fought hard, Abhi", whispered Akshara. Her voice is so low. If Abhi hadn't sat too close to her, he would have not heard it.

"I know. Thank you for fighting for us Akshu. Thank you for keeping your promise. I love you. I love you so much that it hurts", said Abhi and kissed her forehead lightly. Akshara smiled at him.

After a week Akshu got discharged from the hospital. Abhimanyu kept his promise and came home every day for his kids. He helped them to get ready for the school. Their schoolwork and personal needs were looked after by his sisters-in-law. He is at home with the kids during the night also. The kids missed their mother terribly but they know it is necessary for the health of their mother. Anaira gets cranky sometimes but Abhi handles her with a lot of patience and love, so she understands their situation.